iTalk, 4th Gen. iPod, and external mic issues

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mcgarry, Dec 16, 2004.

1. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    [EDIT: since asking for 4G only brought so little response, I'd be interested to hear answers from those of you using older iPods too. Thanks]

To their credit, Griffin has been great about trying to solve my problems using my iTalk with my fourth generation (20GB) iPod. But I am still having issues. Rather than recount to you all the gory details, I thought I'd ask a couple questions. In short, I am having trouble using my external mic-- that I used to use successfully with a Sony MD recorder-- with my iTalk. Hopefully there are some experienced iTalk users among us!

1. Who here has successfully used an external mic to record voice with their iTalk and a 4th gen. iPod? If so, what type was it (condenser, powered, etc.)? What brand/model? If unsuccessful, did the mic not work at all or otherwise not work as you expected?

2. Here is the mic I am trying to use. Can any of you tell from its specs why it might not work? It may not supply enough of its own power, for example ... but really I don't know.

Bonus question, not related to external mic usage: does anyone here with an iTalk and a 4th gen. iPod experience a delay after pressing record (sound is not picked up for the first few seconds), or does the iTalk record instantly?

[I searched the forums on this first, found almost nothing ... ]
  2. toontra macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    London UK
    I get a delay - up to 5 seconds. Also a nasty "click" at the start of the recording which is loud enough to give you a nasty shock when reviewing over hi-fi system.

Never tried an external mic though I'm interested to see other's reports.
  3. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Bonus? Oooh, Oooh! *raises hand* Call on me!!!

Yes! It's not mine, but my best friend has one and it annoys her SO MUCH. She says she gets 2-4 second delays.
  4. mcgarry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    Thanks for the replies.

I'd also like to hear from people with older iPods, not just the new click-wheel ones ... what external mics are you using, etc.