iTalk/iPod - Bootleg Concert

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by VooDooPope, Aug 10, 2004.

1. VooDooPope macrumors member

Jun 9, 2004
    The Heights, Houston TX
    Anyone use iTalk hooked up to their iPod and try to record a concert? I don't want to profit from this is any way I would just like to try to record the concert for my own listening pleasure.

A second question is... I wonder how much disc space an hour long show would take if you recorded it using italk on your ipod.
  2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    To help resolve a potential issue: many artists allow live recordings of their concerts for personal use. (i.e. recording is allowed for many concerts).

Back on topic, I don't know if the microphone in the iTalk is intended for long-distance recording, or for much bass, etc. Check out iPodlounge's iTalk Review. The big limitation is that with any input device, the iPod will only record it at 8kbps mono audio. Not good for much beyond nearby voice recording. But I suppose, if somebody owns one, it's worth a shot!
  3. VooDooPope thread starter macrumors member

Jun 9, 2004
    The Heights, Houston TX

Thanks for the input. The band I wanted to tape does allow taping of their shows for personal use.

The review was most helpful and answered all my questions. Even with a secondary mic the end product would be virtually worthless and probably unlistenable.

And to top that all off the imic won't work with my first or second generation ipod.
  4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Minidisc recorders are pretty good for recording live concerts.

Lee Tom
  5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Listening "pleasure?" You'd capture some sounds but mostly just people screaming. If you're lucky you'd get a blown out clippy musical recording--or a muddy one.
  6. dehgenog macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah if you're looking to get anything remotely useful out of it, the iTalk or iPod are not wise decisions. DAT, MiniDisc, even iRiver- are supposed to be decent.