Itanium seen trailing rivals in 2007

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Shrek, Aug 29, 2002.

1. macrumors 65816

Shrek

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-955962.html?tag=fd_top

Is this great news for the Xserve or what?!?!

2. macrumors 6502a

Rajj

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Duh George. :p

4. Retired

jefhatfield

looking at high end intel dual xeons and the amd dual athlon mp's, they do ok against the dual g4s and are in a pretty decent pricepoint, and some of the pc workstations also use rdram which some say is sadly only a tiny bit better than ddr ram

but the ultra sparc, while it could support 8 gigs of ram, is priced in a totally different category

this machine is not a high end sub-5000 dollar machine like the xeons, mp's, and g4s...but an overbloated 25,000 dollar machine that is today's supercomputer which very few home users can justify:eek:

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Well, jef/anyone, you think that home/small business/education/government users would be able to justify a 64-bit Power4 Xserve? :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 6502a

Rajj

The government and universities could benefit, but the consumers just don't need the power!!

Besides, Cray and NEC makes the best SUPERCOMUTERS!!!!

Just ask NASA and the NSA;) :p

7. Moderator emeritus

psst...don't you mean Cray?

Anyway, i'm sure Intel comforts itself with "our sales are up 200 percent. how many did we sell this month? ummm, 300." :D

It's amazing that Itanium took so long coming to market considering that HP's Precision Architecture (PA-RISC) has been around 10 years or more.

8. Retired

jefhatfield

SV uses the highest end stuff...our professor mentioned something about an experimental 1+ terahertz chip...but in testing...but they realized the speed thru combining many chips so it was not truly...let's say, a single microchip running at 1 terahertz

it would be akin to some dual 1 ghz users who say their machine is 2 ghz, which is not quite true...yet i read in a pc friendly mag that the dual 1 ghz beat some single 2 ghz pcs in photoshop tests...but this is old news, but it strikes me funny because the second 1 ghz motorola chip is not running full bore

i still like motorola, though slow...but when things get over 2 ghz for motorola and 2.8/2.9/3.0 ghz for wintel machines, who will care about those stats....i will want to know about hard drive speed, ram limit, and video cards more than raw cpu speed