Itanium to get x86 emulation?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by vniow, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Re: Itanium to get x86 emulation?

I suspect that this is a direct result of the Connectix takeover.

2. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah this is because AMD-64 is not only 64 bit app it can run 32 BIT appls also.

You know INTEL is hurting.

4. jragsdale macrumors newbie

Intel should continue support of x86, although I don't see AMD as the reason why. I disagree Intel is hurting because of AMD's lead into 64bit but I'll accept the argument that they might in the future if they don't do anything about it. Intel has more market share; Dell, Gateway, and HP are focusing on the Celeron and Pentium 4 and home built AMD boxes represent a small percentage, so AMD won't be hurting Intel's bottom line quite yet. Supporting x86 should provide a smoother transition by allowing PC users to use their current set of applications in addition to the ones optimized for 64bit. 32bit and 64bit operation seems like the way to go to me for now, isn't it obvious? I think Intel was/is thinking a bit too far in the future by stopping support for x86 so soon.

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I meant intel has currently only 32 bit or 64 bit processors while the new AMD chip can run both well.

6. szark macrumors 68030

szark

They are doing this so companies can continue to run NT 4.0 or 2000 if they need to on a new Itanium server (for backwards compatibility).