Items that are recommended with 12" PowerBook purchases (may fit others as well)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SolidGun, Aug 19, 2004.

1. SolidGun macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2004
    Twin Cities
    Okay, from my month of 12” PowerBook use, I have realized that there are a few essentials and that people have been asking what they need to get with their 12” PB. I will list a few things that I have gotten, because I believed that they would be indispensable part of my PB. These are personal preferences and places that I found to have the best deal at the time of purchase. Where you shop and what you shop is up to you, but I am listing items that I have and short reviews on the items.

1. Protouch PB
    First item that I bought shortly after my PB purchase was ProTouch PB from I purchased Arctic since I liked the clean color. I decided to get this cover from them, because I have used their iPod cases and thought it would indeed protect the keyboard from getting dirty with regular use. I have no crumbs between the keys and added comfort in typing was provided with its silicone cover. I see many deposits on the ProTouch PB and I would not like those items inside the keyboard. It is easy to clean as they claim on their website, but it does get rather dirty (not sure whether this is from me or the material)
    2. ZeroShock
    Shortly after the first purchase I bought ZeroShock from (I don’t know where else they sell this…I haven’t even seen it on eBay at the time). It was about $37 with shipping and I got grey. After feeling its protective design, I am not going with any other sleeves. I was hoping to get some scratch protection, and I got more than that. The cushion that is built in feels like my visco-elastic memory foam mattress and I can see how it would protect unseen shocks to my PB. Having it in my backpack with other books, it would also relieve that pressure from being lodged between books and my back.
    3. Macally Screen Protector LP-PS12 - Display screen protector
    I haven’t received this item yet, but I have seen a few posts about fingerprints and such. I looked around and found this to be a suitable protection for my child-free environment. They have these for 15” and 17” as well, just replace 12 with 15 and 17.
    4. half nudie stickers
    My taste in women is as good as these stickers. I wanted some protection on the surface of my PB from my sweaty palms, but didn’t want to use PDA screen protectors on the PB because it looked weird. I remembered some water proof stickers that I had on my snowboards and looked up their site. Of course these are beautiful women in their underwear (there are naked ones, but I take my PB into public). They don’t fit perfect to cover all, but I still like the girls. You need extra small stickers from their site for it to fit on the palm area of your PB. I use regular size for the outside and draw a lot of attention with them.
    5. Ogio Capitalist Backpack
    I have been a promoter of a Targus backpack made for Sony Vaio for a while. But I have realized that there are better backpacks on the market. Finally, I ended up upgrading to Ogio Capitalist. People may be aware of Ogio Metro because that is made for students. Capitalist has the same design but use tougher material and is classified under “work/business” However, I really like this better than Ogio Metro. This backpack will not fit 17”, but is perfect for 12” and 15”. All the compartments are labeled for specific use, so there is less guess and test period.

6. Targus Tornado Notebook Chill Mat - Silver
    This may not be the best price for the item, but I had a certificate there. This cooling pad has become indispensable as well for me. It does keep the PB significantly cooler and is so quiet that I often forget that it is turned on. I was rather skeptical in purchasing this but decided to test it out. I liked it so much I bought another one for my wife’s laptop. It draws power from USB.
    These are personal opinions and should only be used as a recommendation. But I took time to type this up during my lunch hour because I believe that these are very good products that are rather useful with my 12” PB. But be sure to save money for software purchases, I have already lost/invested $1,000+ on software after my PB purchase. I am just happy that I didn’t get the 15” with superdrive with upgraded parts as I intended, because that would be all I have with no money left for other necessities.
  2. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    Is it safe to put a 15 inch PowerBook in your semi-full backpack,along with a lot of hardcover books while the pbook is in the shinza sleeve? i always get scared that the pbook will bend or the screen will crack..
  3. gear02 macrumors member

Aug 18, 2004
    oh man...this thread is a godsend...I just got a 12 inch pbook and I need this information!

4. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2003
    West Virginia
  5. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2004
    Twin Cities
    This may depend on what type of backpack you have. I have cushion from the Zeroshock, but as well as the backpack. I haul heavy stuff once in a while and haven't seen any stress on PB. the backpack and laptop and your back is rather well balanced so that the PB isn't pushing against your back.

I would add iPod to the list, but I didn't buy it afterwards.
  6. daxdagr8t macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    Same with me. :D
  7. AMASOP macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2004
    The perfect case for a new 12" PowerBoook

It is a very tight fit, but put a shinza cover inside the crumpler schoolhymn. It may take a week or so to stretch the schoolhymn so that the zippers move easily, but well worth it.

I did this and usually just put my PBook in a messenger bag without any padding or protective internal bracing/structures.
  8. debroglie macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Targus Podium Coolpad
    Great for when I am working on my lap as I don't like frying the hair off my legs. Helps keep my PB cooler and also gives a more solid surface to set it on. No fans, but no battery drain either. 9 out of 10.

Griffin iCurve
    Indispensable for when I want to transform my PB into a desktop with an external monitor/keyboard/mouse etc. Provides extreme airflow, looks awesome, and is very sturdy. 10 out of 10.

Crumpler Wack-O-Phone bag
    Excellent laptop compartment and spots for charger/iPod/accessories. However, it doesn't fit near as much stuff as it looks like it should. The front pocket is far too tight, making it hard to put stuff in it. Also, the strap is rediculously large. This is an extremely sturdy bag though! It also looks very sharp. 7 out of 10.

This thing runs my life - it is my entertainment, my planner, and my alarm. 11 out of 10.

Apple Keyboard
    I chose the wired keyboard because I wanted the USB ports and didn't want the battery drain from the bluetooth. I love this keyboard, the only keyboard that types better is the previous version. 10 out of 10.

Kensington Studio Mouse
    Wired optical mouse with a touchpad scroller. It was a good idea, but I would prefer a scroll wheel. However, this mouse tracks like a charm, has a great third button, and comes with excellent software. 8 out of 10.

512 stick of ram
    My crucial ram was great... while it worked. Luckily they have an excellent return policy, but I am still left without my ram for the time being. The performance boost was considerable though. NR
  9. gear02 macrumors member

Aug 18, 2004
    so the shinza zeroshock inside the crumpler schooly hymm and it fits?
  10. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Being facetious here but I'm going to throw essential software for your PB into the party (I'll limit it to top three shareware/freeware that makes your PB that much sweeter!) ;)

1)Quicksilver: An application launcher and so much more, an integral part of my system. Think of it as a Spotlight preview.

2)Synergy: Invaluable, control iTunes through hot keys or the menu bar. Perfect for anyone who uses iTunes.

3)Cocktail (shareware)/Onyx (freeware): Nice little apps to keep your PB healthy and they also let you activate little hidden tweaks to your system.

4) SuperDuper: Ok, I know I said top three but everybody needs to make backups of their system, just in case! SuperDuper makes this very unsexy task easy and painless so I had to throw it in really!
  11. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    Are these actual stickers? Like when you get a gold star for being good in school? As in when you try to peel it off of your beautiful powerbook, they're going to leave behind a film of sticky-ness. I hope not. I don't get it, I don't see how the PB would be damaged by sweaty palms. It's not like you're drowning the thing in a pool of water or anything.

A classmate had a 12 inch powerbook, and he took a sticker, and covered up the apple on the lid. Why? I ask, why?
  12. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I wouldn't think of the word "unsexy" to describe the tedious task of backing up files. LOL
  13. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I'd suggest some form of FireWire storage to anyone getting a laptop -- an iPod fits the bill for light use (I am currently working towards fitting a college education onto an iPod) but for video, pictures, or a large mass of text files you really should consider a LaCie drive -- they're cheaper per gig than iPods because they don't have the audio player etc. or the battery. But that also means they use a brick even when plugged into a Mac.

And I second the iCurve -- mine has made my 12" iBook much more comfortable to use, along with an Apple keyboard and mouse.

Also consider some good headphones for all laptops -- not sure how sound is on PowerBooks, but the iBook is the best I've heard and let's just say that's not saying much. I've used iPod earbuds (basically good sound but lousy comfort) and 20-year-old Realistic Nova 40 supras on my laptop, to good effect. If you want to listen to music or watch DVDs, get some headphones or speakers.

The Airport devices are also worth looking at -- you get a wireless access point and a print server, and a music streamer in the case of the Express. I seem to recall that the Airport Extreme's modem can use used for dialup to access broadband if you have it from away from home.
  14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    external mouse! with two button and a scroll wheel
    the targus cool pad, my 15" gets so hot!
    marine arquarium 2.0 (nice screensaver)
    bag to carry it in
  15. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Got to have Backlight if you really want to show off that screensaver. Might tax your graphics card but it'll make your Windows friends oh so jealous! :D
  16. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
    Get two programs -- one for hardware and the other for disk maintenance, respectively: Tech Tool Pro and DiskWarrior.

Technically, TTP can do disk maintenance, but I crashed my osX drive because of it and DW was the only thing that fixed it.
  17. AMASOP macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2004
  18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    o yea.... forgot about that program, i have it and everyone who sees my laptop almost faints when they see it
  19. PHARAOHk macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2003
    The iskin protouch keyboard cover is very cool. I got the arctic blue but it can be hard to see the keys at night, the clear may be clearer?. A must if you use your laptop portably or want to be quiet.

Apple sells a mini DVI S-video component RCA video out for $19.99. This can come in handy if you want to view things from your computer on a TV very easily. Plug in an RCA dual audio to 1/8 stereo mini plug from the laptops audio out too for both audio and video, very easy.

If you have a bluetooth phone you can try for a cool remote for your laptop. I used the above setup on my dads big-screen TV and we watched the last Keynote that way. He doesn't have airport but I had his 17" PB setup for internet sharing and I got online through his hard-wired online laptop 30+ feet away!

Any kind of USB mass storage device(jump drive) can be very useful for trading files with windows users instead of making a small network. I learned here that you can format it in OSX as FAT32 for compatibility on windows and OSX.f