iTines, WinXP and an external drive?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by KevKaos, Oct 12, 2006.

1. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Hi,
    For right now I am still a Windoze user, and I have iTunes loaded to support my iPod. My main disk in my system is getting pretty full, but I do have a 120GB external disk that I could use. I would like to copy my iTunes Music folder over to the external and see if there is a way to have iTunes read and write from that disk. I heard that was possible on a Mac, but I'm not sure how to do it on a PC. Can anyone guide me through the step if it does work? Thanks in advance.

*** NOTE *** Just noticed that I spelled iTunes wrong in the title. Boy do I feel stupid now?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's the same method in Windows. Just head to the Advanced pane of iTunes Preferences, reselect a new spot (on the external drive) for your music folder and let iTunes copy it over. This is assuming you let iTunes manage where your files are, of course. You'll still have the data files in your My Music folder, don't move these. However, once this is done you can delete the iTunes Music folder (not the iTunes folder) from your iTunes folder in My Music. Does that make sense? :)

3. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it does make sense, but I have already gone ahead and copied all the music files over to the external drive without letting iTunes do it. I did that before I even posted my question. It took a couple hours to copy it over. Oh well, I'll just try to start it before leaving for work and let it run during the day. Thanks for the info.

4. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I went in to the advanced portion of the preferences and made the change that points iTunes toward a folder on my external drive. I see a message window pop up that shows the library updating, but iTunes does not appear to copy any files over to that folder even though I have iTunes set to manage my library. Any chance that I need to do something else to initiate the library to copy over?

5. Stratification macrumors regular

You can try going to Advanced > Consolidate Library and see if that does it.

6. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh cool !!! That sounds promising. I'll try that as soon as I get home. Thanks.

7. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks like your advice, along with the original advise from Mad Jew has worked flawlessly. I now have all my iTunes music and podcasts over on my external disk (using the Consolidate Library function), deleted the original music folder (to free up the space), and iTunes still sees everything. Way to go folks. You guys ROCK.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

10. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

at least you capitalized it correctly. iTines means you made a typo; Itunes means you have been living in a cave for the past decade as far as apple is concerned. :p