Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I created an account in the iTunes music store using my gmail account. Any way I thought to myself what happens if later on I wanted to change my email information. What is the process for this, can it be done, will my previous music purchases reflect this change? (in the get info pane, account name)

I went to change my email address in edit account info in the music store. I went to use my dot mac id, but it says that this is already an account. To sign in with that account? Can a transfer my purchased music to this account?

I'm sorry if I made no sense I'm just really confused.

Thanks for any help :)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I often wonder this too. I have my ISP e-mail on my account....but what happens if I move or switch ISPs...I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I have had to change mine ISP settings since I started on the iTMS too. It just updates your account, no problem. You just have to type in your new email address when you authorize, deauthorize music. The system should recognize you. Mine did.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
When I got my first Mac, I was excited (obviously) and signed up for the .Mac account. I used that as my Apple ID in iTunes, but when I decided to not renew .Mac, I emailed Apple and they told me that they could not consolidate purchases made on multiple Apple IDs into any single Apple ID.

Sounds stupid to me, but they consider this a "transfer" and songs bought from ITMS cannot be transferred from one user to another - legally.

Right now, I have songs that I bought under my .Mac ID and my standard Yahoo account. As long as you remember the passwords for both - and you might as well set them the same so you don't forget - there will be no problem re-authorizing them on new computers.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
I'm not sure but i think you can do this from the online apple store. in account settign or something...

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
yeah, I couldn't consolidate all the files into my .Mac account, but I could change the email address associated with another account to another email account, as long as it wasn't one that was already registered with the iTMS. Sorry that I wasn't clear before.:cool:

Alasta

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
emaja said:
When I got my first Mac, I was excited (obviously) and signed up for the .Mac account. I used that as my Apple ID in iTunes, but when I decided to not renew .Mac, I emailed Apple and they told me that they could not consolidate purchases made on multiple Apple IDs into any single Apple ID.

Hmmm, I'm in the same situation. All of the music that I've purchased thus far has been through my Apple ID, but my .Mac account is due to expire soon and I don't intend to renew it.

Whilst letting my .Mac account expire will result in me losing access to all the standard .Mac services, I was hoping that my .Mac username would remain active for the purpose of accessing the iTunes Music Store. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.