iTMS Album Art

Discussion in 'iPod' started by killuminati, Jun 8, 2006.

1. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

How is it that the album art from the iTMS comes so BIG and is such good quality but the file is still fairly small. I've tried adding album art like that to songs and it adds about 1.5mb.

How is it that they do this?

2. pashazade macrumors member

What image format are you using. You should be using a Web Optimized jpeg file. The web optimized bit means that all extra metadata is stripped. The compression ratio I use is around 50%. This gives me a file size of 30-90k (depends on the image) for a 600px x 600px image.

What graphic programs do you have. I use photoshop but you don't need it.

I can walk you through how to do it if needs.

Scott

3. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

Oh ok. I wasn't using a web optimized jpeg file. I would assume that is the File>Save for Web in photoshop.

I guess I'll start replacing all my album art now. Oh well, it'll be worth it for the extra space on my ipod.

Thanks

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Actually most of the 600x600 JPEGs you used to be able to get from iTMS via http://tpemble.urfbownd.net/itunes/ were ~ 1MB big.

Doesn't the iPod's album art come from it's own DB?

B

5. pashazade macrumors member

You might want to tweak the compression %. I don't like the defaults - either too large a file size or too low a quality. I don't like the artifacts when compressed too much, Especially as they are played through Front Row.

I'm going through the mammoth task of scanning all my covers in and then storing as a 1000x1000psd and saving as a 600x600 jpg for iTunes.

I'm not expecting to finish soon :)

6. pashazade macrumors member

You mean a separate file on the ipod? the images should be embedded in the mp3/aac file.

7. Keebler macrumors 68030

dougs scripts has a script...save you doing it

hi there,

dougscripts.com (i believe that is the site), has a script which will show you a link to google or amazon for albums. i usually take their album art (300x300) is a good size. file sizes are small too and the quality is great.

There is another script that will automatically save the art to the album folder which is handy b/c you can backup without worrying about having to re-do the art later.

Cheers,
    keebler

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Actually, we're both right. The iPod gets its album art from a folder called Artwork and a DB called ArtworkDB http://ipodlinux.org/ITunesDB that is created upon sync with iTunes. However the original artwork embedded in the files is still stored within them, just that the iPod knows nothing about it.

B