Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
Hi. Hopefully someone can reply to this quickly lol. My friend is wanting to download off of the ITMS but doesn't want to make an account. Don't know why. But I told him about these "gift certificates". He said that would be fine but he wondered with the certificates, do you still have to make an account? Thanks everyone! Oh and also, can the gift certificates be used to download TV shows?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
jamescwarren said:
Hi. Hopefully someone can reply to this quickly lol. My friend is wanting to download off of the ITMS but doesn't want to make an account. Don't know why. But I told him about these "gift certificates". He said that would be fine but he wondered with the certificates, do you still have to make an account? Thanks everyone! Oh and also, can the gift certificates be used to download TV shows?

Yes, you need an account with iTunes to download any kind of music -- even the "free download of the week" ones. You will also need to use that account to validate every computer with which you intend to play the songs you download.

With gift certificates, you will not need to link a credit card to the account, that's all.

If you think about it, there's really no way NOT to use an account on iTunes Music Store.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Yeah, you need an account so Apple's DRM is tied to what ever you download and yes, you can use the gift cards to buy anything they sell, music, TV shows, shorts, music videos, ect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.