iTMS hits 200 Million

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdowns, Dec 16, 2004.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Apple(R) today announced that music fans have purchased and downloaded more than 200 million songs from the iTunes(R) Music Store. The 200 millionth song was part of "The Complete U2" and was purchased by Ryan Alekman from Belchertown, MA

iTunes has made it easy to give the gift of music this holiday season with iTunes prepaid cards that are available from retailers like Amazon.com, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Kroger, RadioShack, 7-Eleven, Target, as well as Apple's online store and Apple's retail stores and offer $15 or $25 of music on the iTunes Music Store. Gift givers can also send iTunes gift certificates in amounts from $10 to $200 by email or regular mail, and can print out these gift certificates in color right on their computer for the perfect last minute stocking stuffer.

"iTunes has now sold over 200 million songs, making it the world's number one online music store by far," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We're thrilled to be making music an even more popular gift this holiday season with iTunes and iPod."

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, now's the time to start thinking REALLY big: when do you think ITMS will hit 1 BILLION songs?

My prediction: before the end of 2005.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I’m wondering why all the milestones are downloaded by US citizens. Are they downloading this much more than Europeans or Canadians?

And I think we’ll only get 1 billion songs before the end of 2005 when Apple opens their store in more countries (Japan, Australia, New Zealand).

4. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I doubt that. Currently they are selling ~700k songs a day. If they can double that, then they will attain around ~700 million by this time next year.

If Apple manage to hit one billion by this time next year though, that will be an awesome feat.

5. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

Easy there, this isn't McDonalds, this is paid downloads which is in its infancy. As a stockholder, I hope you're right. As a realist, I din't see them increasing volume that dramatically.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What were they selling last year at this time? I think it was probably about 100k songs a day. So at that rate Apple might be selling 5 million a DAY by this time next year.

Also, do they count gift certificate sales when the certificates are sold, or when they are redeemed? If it's the latter, I expect we'll see a huge surge after Christmas as stocking-stuffer gift-certificates are redeemed.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

But look at the huge surge of iPod sales -- many of them are Christmas gifts, which means the serious downloading won't start until after Christmas. When a new phenomenon erupts this fast, its pace can be staggering. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1 billion mark was hit even faster.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Possibly to do with the time when the 199,999,999 rolls around? With more timezones in North America than the EU iTMS, there's more people awake to download for longer.

Cynically, a European will hit a milestone when the iTMS in that country needs a publicity boost! :)

As for hitting a billion, the US billion will hit towards the end of 2005. The UK billion is probably still a decade off! ;) Remember that Apple has sold millions of iPods this quarter and to more mainstream consumers who may not be comfortable using p2p networks. If a proportion of those start using iTMS then the increase on this year will be huge.

9. Edot macrumors 6502

800,000+ a day

The last report was 150 million on 10-14-04 so that means ~62 days have passed. That means 800,000+ per day. I can see that hitting a million soon. So, they will be guaranteed to be at 500 million by next year, if the rate stays the same. It will probably increase. Where are all the people with the graphs??

10. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

Well, if Apple ever decide to advertise in Europe it might help. I haven't seen one TV advert on German/Austrian/Swiss/Italian TV, yet MyCokeMusic is all over the place. They have a better product, and if they let other firms with bad products get to the people first, then people's attitude will be to ignore legal music downloads, because they are used to a crappy service (ever tried using MyCokeMusic? bleaghhh). Almost enough to put you off using the internet.

Still, the revolution will not be televised. It will be downloaded.

I'm hoping for 1 billion downloads by mid-2006, but I can't add my Euros into the pot until they OPEN THE IRISH iTUNES MUSIC STORE!!!!

And, I presume we're talking a US billion?

11. sarae macrumors 6502

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hee hee, Maybe I'll go pay him a visit :D

Belchertown, LOL!

13. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

In Germany, Apple has the U2 iPod spot on TV and in cinemas. A month ago, I saw the spot almost every day. Now, it’s only in cinemas, I think.

Ok, it’s not about the iTMS in the first place, but it does create mindshare.

14. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, that’s a possibility. But I find it strange that when Apple had the contest to win an iPod for every 100.000 songs, that these iPods were all won by Americans. I think, there were a lot of Europeans, too, that wanted to win.

15. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

On which channels? I guess I just watch the wrong ones (BR etc.) ;-)

16. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I saw them on Pro 7, RTL and Sat.1, but they aren‘t broadcasted anymore. I think it was until the end of November. But when I was in a cinema in December, I saw the spot again, so maybe it’s still there.

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That would be an interesting conspiracy theory, if it was true. However, there were two European winners, one from England and one from Germany. One winner was from "Cambridge", so I'm not sure if that was Cambridge, England or Massachusetts.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/100million/

I suspect the difference is due to the fact that most downloads still come from America--and also perhaps because the contest was in the summer, when many Europeans take very long vacations.

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm missing out - 2 weeks max usually and not in the summer since that's 'reserved' for those with kids in our office to get away.