iTMS Just for You (Beta)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by balamw, Oct 12, 2005.

1. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did anyone else use the "Just for You" section on the home page? Recommended songs and albums based on your past iTMS purchases.

This is one of the features I love about Amazon, and was missing from iTMS. Now it's gone, but will probably be back soon. They seem to be doing lots of "live" uptating of iTMS today...

B

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. balamw thread starter Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wacky. I guess it is "just for you". ;)

No longer there for me. Too bad, cause I was enjoying seeing what it would throw at me.

B

4. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Here as well. It's nice that they give you the option to turn it off if you want to.

5. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I'm looking at it right now, keep on clicking through the various offerings. They seem pretty good so far, recommending lots of the albums I have bought outside of iTunes based on the 150 or so songs I have bought via Apple.

It works so well with Amazon, they always make me buy something else I would never have found otherwise!

Just ordered a white 60GB iPod so I'm sure I'll be trying out all the other new features fairly soon :)

I think I'm the only one that seems to have ordered a white one based on reading other peoples posts!

6. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

it was not there the first time i opened itms after the update. closed it and reopened it now it's all there fine and dandy. haven't had time to browse through the recomendations.
    great feature though.

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

It was there, then vanished, and now its back.

It seems that it vanishes to update, as I TOTALLY changed the way it displayed MY music.

It reccomended Britney Spears for me one of the times! Uh, no thanks.

Now its reccomending good stuff:
    Eminem, Ben Folds, Nine Inch Nails, and the White Stripes are on the front page.
    They are all good.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just as long as it shows me the songs just for me and not the songs for Lacero. I don't think I could stand it. :eek: ;) :eek:

9. balamw thread starter Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's back now for me as well, though it seems to have forgotten some items I already told it I own.

B

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Is anyone else getting really screwed up recommendations?

Like.. check this out:
    [​IMG]

"You bought a violin concerto... SO I THINK YOU'LL LIKE RAP?"
    Whaaaa???

Ooo, that's crazy!

Are anyone else's recommendations really REALLY odd?

11. balamw thread starter Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

LOL. Sounds like the whole. "help! My TiVo thinks I'm gay!" reports that were common a few years ago.

I guess someone did buy both, and that's why they made the recommendation. My recommendations so far have been fairly appropriate, though a bit more Classical than I really listen to. You probably just bought a piece that someone who is really more into rap than you are happened to have bought so they think you must bejust like him or her. ;)

B

12. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

...because ALL the huge rap fans I know listen to Mendelssohn... :rolleyes:

:p

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What can I say?

WHAAAAT?

[​IMG]

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Aahahahahahaha

...I don't know who that is.

is it Little John? :confused:

15. balamw thread starter Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Maybe they bought it by mistake. :p

Seriously, before I told it other albums I own JFY was giving me about 30% opera links. I personally dislike most opera, but you buy a single aria for your wife and you're branded for life. ;)

B

16. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I guess unless Bob Marley is back and wearing glasses drinking Crunk juice :confused: :p ...man, I'm outta touch with pop music.

As for crazy selections, they're below (oddly enough, three of them are Apple ad songs)...several of my suggestion are simply albums I bought the song off of. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice! :D

18. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

It seems that apple implemented the feature too soon without gathering a lot of information. It was probably that somebody bought those two previously and so, suggested it to you. With more info, the recommendations should get a lot better. :)

19. Aarow macrumors 6502a

Man. I thought it would work! But, with all the stuff my sister has bought from the ITMS, all it has is hip hop (besides the foo fighters album).

20. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Oh, and I just looked but can't find it. Where is that feature normally placed?

21. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

You should buy that song anyway, it's really dope. Sick beat, youngbloodz are awesome

22. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Dope?
    :confused:

"sick beat"
    :confused:

Now, QUEEN! That's awesome.

23. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

The "Just for you" recomendations may not be showing up because you aren't logged in?

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The accuracy of Just For You sucks. Because I own a CD by the band Mushroomhead (some pretty hard rock/metal), iTMS thinks I would like Britney Spears. It thinks I like Eminem because I own Godsmack. Some other odd ones. And because I own the explicit content version of "Extreme Behavior" by Hinder, it thinks I would like the edited version of the same CD. I guess they'll get bugs worked out, but right now, whatever algorithm they're using blows.

25. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Has anybody else noticed that their "just for you" is based off of the same 8-10 songs/albums? I'm getting the same "you bought Hero, you should buy..., you own Laundry Service, you should buy..." on every screen. I haven't bought a lot of music, but I have bought enough (219 tracks) that you would think it would make suggestions based on something else. I mean I don't listen to my Ricky Martin or Audioslave that often, but it would be nice if suggestions were made based on them...