iTMS Pre-Orders?!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hob, May 24, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Am I the last person in the world to notice this, or the first (I did run a quick search here...)

iTunes just emailed me the New Music Tuesdays thing that I get once a week (a little late I might add, at 22:47!) but the headline news was White Stripes new album, which I can (and just have) pre-ordered. I haven't been charged yet, so what's the point? :confused:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was wondering about that too. So does it automatically download into your iTunes as soon as it becomes available (and you happen to be running iTunes and connected to the net)? Did it say if you get it before it becomes publicly available on iTMS or in stores as a result of preordering?

Or perhaps iTunes will just tickle your orchid and turn it blue? :eek:

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's pretty bogus - I'm pretty sure that the online store won't, er, run out of inventory. :rolleyes:

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    With the UK White Stripes pre-order and the US Coldplay one, the deal is that you get 'extras' if you pre-order them. Video and digital booklet for White Stripes, 2 extra tracks for the Coldplay one.

I wondered whether this was an attempt to encourage people to download the album rather than placing an order with Amazon et al for the CD to arrive on the release day... Or perhaps to get people to pre-order so that they wouldn't then pick it up on a whim at the supermarket/record store on the way home...

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the main reason to pre-order is simply to get he exclusive features of the pre-orders. its a gimmick. you get two bonus tracks with the Coldplay album and a digital booklet, and one interview. with the Black Eyed Peas preorder you get three music videos and a digital booklet.

this is probably to sell more albums than singles and an incentive to buy more and more from the itms

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm not sure the pre-order - at least for the BEP album - includes anything you don't get if you buy later - iTMS indicates that you get a confirmation email if you pre-order, but I'm not sure you get anything else "special."

Attached Files:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this the first "digital booklet" that comes with an album? If there have been any others, are they basically digitized liner notes, or something more interesting? And how do they appear in iTunes?

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

No, I think the first one came with U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. I got another one with Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams (which wasn't advertised).

They show up in iTunes as a Digital Booklet but open in Preview as a PDF. And yes, it's basically digitized liner notes - although since I haven't seen the 'real' liner notes for either of these items, I can't tell if they're exactly the same. Any lyrics in them do show up in Spotlight though :)

Attached Files:

9. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

Must be for legal resons, pre-order no charge to your account.
    They prob are not allowed to sell or charge for something until the official agreed to release date

10. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

As far as I know, they just said they'd email me when it's out...

11. andrearicchi macrumors newbie

Hello, I've just pre-ordered the White Stripes last album, and since it is already out in iTunes store and I didn't get any email from them so far, I wrote to iTunes support asking for help.
    Here's what I got...............

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the iTunes Music Store.

We respond to all email requests in the order in which they are received. This is generally within 48 hours of arrival. Please do not resubmit your customer service request, as this may delay our response to you.

Sincerely,

The iTunes Music Store Team

Need a quick answer?

iTunes Music Store Customer Service:
    <http://www.apple.com/support/musicstore/ww>

iTunes technical assistance:
    <http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww>
    Message Subject: Music Downloads
    Follow-Up: 9301435
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the iTunes Music Store.

We have considered your request for a refund for purchase XX and will issue you a refund in the amount of XX Kr. The credit will be posted to your account shortly.

Please note that this refund is a one-time exception to the iTunes Music Store Terms of Sale.

From time to time, an attempt to purchase a song may result in an error message or the song may not download completely. The download process should resume, at no additional cost to you, after you restart your computer and reopen iTunes.

If a download does not resume after restart as expected, choose Check For Purchased Music from iTunes' Advanced menu.

Sincerely,  

iTunes Music Store Support

Need a quick answer?

iTunes Music Store Customer Service:
    <http://www.apple.com/support/musicstore/ww>

iTunes technical assistance:
    <http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww>

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, so since you didn't comment in response to their e-mail, I'm guessing it has you as baffled as it has me? That just makes no sense whatsoever. I still don't understand the point of pre-ordering. So basically, you paid in advance, didn't get notified of availability, and never received the songs? Sounds much better to me than ordering after release! :rolleyes:

Maybe with the Podcasting / RSS version of iTunes, they can make it so that iTunes automatically pulls pre-ordered songs down when they become available? :eek:

PS, Blue Orchid is tight. :) I'm from Detroit originally, so I should've appreciated the Stripes a long time ago, but I'm just starting to get their vibe. Hope you get the cd soon!

13. andrearicchi macrumors newbie

This is really annoying me: the album is already out there, all I should do is click on the "Buy Album" button. I'll probabily get charghed twice...
    And what about their answer? It is probabily just a standard mail, but I don't want to be refunded. All I want is to (legally) download the album I've pre-ordered. What am I supposed to do? Go into some P2P music store and download the album for free?

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I assume you've tried the 'Check for Purchased Music' option under Advanced?

15. andrearicchi macrumors newbie

Applespider: I owe you one!
    It actually worked: when I checked for purchased music, a window appeared telling me I had downloads waiting for me.

Thanks.
    Andrea

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

17. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

I got the email this morning - I followed the link and it downloaded all the tracks and bits!! :)

18. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I re-trod my steps and noticed that the release date of 6th June was merely termed as 'expected', so I felt happy feeling less like a dork. But I need 2 more listens to the album to give an opinion ... however the booklet and video have been worth it. All this has actually turned me further on to the whole iTunes thing - I liked and preached it before, and at work I am actually considered a guru on the meduim (which elucidates the kind of luddites that surround me on a daily basis), but this new kinda thang and the upcoming podcasting is so cool that the third side of my concious being is chilled at the concept.

19. JW008 macrumors 6502

8 months later...

The preorder isn't working for me either. Do you have to wait until Apple's e-mail in order to download the album or is there something else I can do? I've already tried the "Check for Purchases" under the Advance tab...I'm leaving for a week in about an hour and a half and I'd really like this album before I go...