iTMS reminding you to backup...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by voodoofish, Dec 22, 2004.

1. voodoofish macrumors regular

Sorry if this has already been posted and I just never noticed it, but has anyone else gotten this message after downloading songs?

I think it only came up after downloading a bunch of paid songs, not the free one. It's from the US store.

Attached Files:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've seen that message a few times, it's not new.

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I have seen it as well.... and heeded its advice :eek:

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, I think that's always been there, nothing new.... And obviously good advice, that should go without saying... :cool:

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Was going to point out the iPod but then realised that not everyone has one.

Well, not yet anyway. ;)

6. senseibiz macrumors regular

I agree, I learned the hardway.
    when I purchased my G5, I transfered all my files from my imac G4.
    I thought that all my purchased songs were transfered as well.
    Wrong. not all of them went thru. 2 albums that I had recently purchased did not go thru. On top of that, I erased my g4's HD.

so I called apple and explained to them what had happened. They were nice enough to let me download them again, and strongly advised to BACKUP my purchased music.

Since I have been backing up my music, just in case.......

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you are very lucky you got to download them again, im sure with this warning they will not allow such things to happen

8. senseibiz macrumors regular

That's what they said...... That was a one time deal..

9. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

and then, of course, they're that whole thing about how you can't get songs off the iPod, if your computer's HD gets killed. which is why you back up to DVD or DataCD ;)

10. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I saw this message for the first time last week, have 467 tracks from iTMS. I think that it is good that they are reminding people.

11. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

They should add that feature to iTunes. The ability to just back up your whole library to a set of DVDs or something. Yes I know you can just copy the music files with the Finder, but it would still be nice to have.

12. voodoofish thread starter macrumors regular

I made myself a nice Smart Playlist which includes all my songs, and then you can burn the playlist to DVD just as you can another :)

Adding another rule about whether the music is in your Purchased Music playlist or not means you can make separate backups of that is your wish (sometimes I, ahem, lend my friends my backup DVDs, but obviously there's no point including iTMS files in them).

Attached Files:

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Kudos to Apple for their kindness. You can never back up enough.

I haven't received that message yet. The only one that I get, says that my purchased songs are also in my Library.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's if you're a *good* boy or girl. But if you get to the point where your computer loses all your songs, I would think that would justify being a bad boy or girl. :p I would go straight to software to pull the songs back off the iPod...I consider my iPod my iTunes backup. :D

15. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Why even bother with software? A simple UNIX command will copy all of the files for you.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Even better.

17. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

what I did

I just create a smart playlist with the type being "protected AAC". It brings up all the songs I have ever downloaded from the itunes music store because I have transfered to a new computer and that original list isn't the same. I just back that one up to a couple of cd's since you can't make an MP3 cd with them, that seems to work for me. Of course, I don't have 476 iTMS songs, I have about 60.:)

18. Mr_T macrumors newbie

A better option than backing up your aac files to an audio cd is just to select "Data CD" from the itunes burning preferences. This will copy your aac playlist without modifying the fiiles in anyway. So if you ever have to use those backups, you won't have to reencode them (losing audio quality) or put up with the large file sizes if you import them as aiff or apple lossless.

I have three drives in my mac and I back up important data to each one so even if two drives die on me I'm ok. Of course if I have a fire or something then I'm out of luck. :rolleyes: I used to work for University of Iowa computer help desk and we used to get pale and sweating students clutching a crumpled/bent/burnt floppy disk saying "this is... this is my thesis.... I uh.... oh god can you help me?" Not a pretty sight.

~ Mr.T

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, there's something to be said for off-site backup. ;)

20. ahamilt2 macrumors member

it's good advice

back it up. I got a new eMac for school, and bought quite a few songs from iTMS. Then I installed an iChat update, restarted, and it came of with the good old question-mark of death. I reinstalled the OS and the computer worked again, but my music was missing so I emailed Apple, and they let my download my music again (which you are allowed to do only once). It was my first OS X machine so I didn't really know what was going on. Turns out that the music was still on my computer, so I wasted my one extra dowload for about $300 worth of music and had 2 copies of every song. my point? back it up; you never know what could happen.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very loyal about backups. What concerns me is the safety and longevity of those backups. I have some things in the wrong places on my hard drive, very soon I'm hoping to see if a Mac Genius can help m.