ITMS will not connect! w/ WinXP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by red93xj, Sep 17, 2004.

1. red93xj macrumors newbie

Everytime I try to connect it gives me this:

iTunes could not connect to the Music Store
    Make sure your network connection is active and try again.

I know my connection is working and I've tried disabling windows firewall but still nothing! I use norton antivirus (if it has a firewall, I can't find it or how to turn it off) I hope someone can help, its really tickin me off :mad:
    -Thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. red93xj thread starter macrumors newbie

no, I'm using a cable modem, dlink 802.11g router, and linksys wireless card.

4. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Check the dlink to make sure that there isn't a firewall, or port blocked that might be needed.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If you've installed SP2 you'll need to make sure iTunes is in the exceptions list for Windows Firewall.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. red93xj thread starter macrumors newbie

Any info on how to do that and/or what port I would need to open?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

HTTP is 80.
    HTTPS is 443.

I can't imagine that SP2 would block those outgoing. If so, that would just be retarded.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

SP2 does block iTunes port- I don't know which one it is, but I did read that somewhere.

10. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

sp2 tryed to block AIM, Yahoo Messenger, even Firefox and Netscape on my PC.....

peice of junk sp2.....

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There is actually no reason to keep these open unless you have a http or https server running. Just because you connect to a server on port 80, doesn't mean you are using port 80 on your side. If firefox wants to connect to a web server (default port 80) it will look for the next unused, non-well known port on you computer and connect that port to port 80 on the server.

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Okay, as of SP2 Windows will block most apps unless you add them to the exceptions list in the Windows Firewall control panel. This is a good thing, actually. By default it'll pop up and tell you that it's blocking a program (if that program hasn't already been run) and ask you what to do.

If you've blocked a program accidentally, just go to the firewall control panel and correct it.

Note that this is totally different from the port-by-port blocking. You can still fully open/close specific ports, but the Windows Firewall is behaving more like a real firewall now and providing more fine-grained control as well.

I am certainly no fan of Microsoft, but I think they've pretty much done the right thing here. Too bad it's taken them so many years just to get to this point! :D

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That is correct. But this is an outbound connection, so having a firewall block it outbound is preposterous. Sorry if that was not what I obviously meant.

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Ahh, I misunderstood what you were trying to convey. My apologies.

15. jane doe macrumors 6502

Also internet accelerators will block the iTunes Music Store, Make sure you are not running any type of speed enhancers.

16. red93xj thread starter macrumors newbie

ITMS wouldn't connect even before SP2. So, I know thats not it, but any help is good help. Any other ideas?
    -Thanks

17. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Check your router, it could be blocking the port iTunes needs. May also want to go to Local Area Connection > Properties > Advance > Settings > Exceptions and make sure iTunes appears in the list.

Got no prob getting track list and buying music from iTMS w/ WinXP Pro SP2 here.

18. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Not really. Ever hear of spyware? Ever hear of all the crap Real used to put on your computer, unbeknownst to you?

It makes perfect sense for a firewall to check whether an outgoing connection should be allowed or not.