iTMS Windows: October 15th?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

An anonymous submission claims that based on information from an Apple employee, iTunes Music Store for Windows should arrive on October 15th, 2003.

Apple's iTunes Music Store for Windows has been announced to be released by year's end... but the competition has been ramping up on the PC side, with many companies with plans to enter the music download arena.

With a similar timeframe, LoopRumors claims that according to their sources, the service should launch "by late October".

2. macrumors regular

Removed

3. macrumors 604

iJon

its about damn time, i hope this is true. hopefully steve will give a more specific time frame in paris, hopefully demo it. i can just see it now, steve working on a dell with itunes, lol.

iJon

4. macrumors 68000

crees!

iPod Software

I know MusicMatch is currently used w/ the iPod for Windows PC's but I guess that's going to change when iTunes comes out for Windows?

5. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: iPod Software

i belive so, it would only be right. that is one the big complaints i see about the windows ipod, its to damn confusing to use that music match crap. so i think itunes for pc will be good, and hopefully apple will write a crap load of drivers to support cd burners, and then apple can also have those drives work in mac os x.

iJon

6. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I can't wait either... Although I think iTunes needs support for wma files for it to be successful. I just want everybody in my dorm (some 1000+ people) to get it, and share their playlists :D

I'll be in musical estacy...

7. macrumors regular

Well that's great news for getting Apple's name out there - will be interesting to see if it paves the way for Apple bringing a lot more software into the Wintel world.

8. macrumors 65816

jholzner

Wonder if we'll hear any news on an international version?? I'm in the states but I would still like to see this happen soon!!

9. WM.
    macrumors 6502

Excellent point. Maybe he'll run it in VPC or something, to show that VPC isn't an issue in the MS-Apple relationship (what with this lack of G5 support) or something. Either that or he'll use a Cinema Display hooked up to a PC hidden under the table. :)

Isn't it interesting how buymusic.com and the other iTMS knockoffs have kind of fallen out of the news? I mean, I guess the iTMS has as well, but certainly that buy.com idiot isn't trumpeting his enormous success or anything. I think people realize that Apple's the only company that's done it right (yet). And even MS's knockoff won't come before 10/15, right?

/rambling

WM

10. WM.
    macrumors 6502

LOL. Well, I suppose you do have a point--plenty of people have all kinds of .wma's floating around, so they won't want to use an app (like iTunes) that doesn't support their collection. But, considering that Apple is really pushing AAC hard, I doubt that they'll add support for MS's crappy format in iTunes, let alone on the iPod.

OTOH, does anyone know how hard it would be for Apple to leverage (Dilbert-ism alert) WMA in the Windows version? I mean, if a developer wants to use QuickTime for something in OS X, it's super-easy, right? What's that same process like on Windows?

FWIW
    WM

11. macrumors member

heh, heh. Actually, after all they have done for Apple lately, he should use an IBM, don't you think?

12. macrumors 6502a

alia

Man, I can't wait for iTunes for Windows... not only does MusicMatch stink as far as UI, but it doesn't even let you encode at higher than 128kbps for Mp3 or 96kbps for Mp3Pro - unless I'm a total dumbass and missed something. So, frequently, unless you get a better encoder somewhere else, your files sound horrible - bad chopping on the range.

Anyway, I can't wait!!!! :D

Alia

13. macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

Wait, Andrew? The Andrew? WOW!

I'm sorry, I had to.

14. macrumors 603

Stella

Whoo hoo! I really hope it does happen - Apple could take a major advance over the competition, propelled by the talk surrounding iTMS for the Mac.

Apple better have made iTunes for Windows the same good quality and ease of use of iTunes on the Mac. And not bug ridden either... otherwise Apple have missed a golden opportunity.

Now they just need the international versions rolling out...

I wouldn't be surprised to see some Microsoft dirty tricks coming up and Microsoft tries to 'compete'...

15. macrumors regular

I'm just curious why October 15th, a Wednesday? Super Tuesday is tradationally the day when new music is released, seems to make sence to launch iTMS for Windoze on a Tuesday.

Just my $0.02...

16. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Could be site traffic is very high on new music Tuesdays and wanted to put off the wave of Windows shoppers a day.

17. Moderator emeritus

From what I heard this week, iTunes for Windows has run into some problems and will be slightly delayed.

18. macrumors member

wma... I don't think so. I hope not.

19. macrumors regular

It's not like adding WMA playback support is a problem. As long as the person's computer has the appropriate Windows Media Codecs installed (and if they're using Windows, then 9 out of 10 people probably have them) then iTunes could just call for use of the Windows Media codecs to play back the files.

Although, playback on an iPod, I'm sure they'll request you re-encode to a better version, AAC anyone? :) Or even MP3! Hell, with WMP9 or 8, to import tracks into MP3, you had to buy a separate add-on for WMP to get that functionality. Not with iTunes.

I shudder to see this logo on a future box of the iPod:
    [​IMG]

20. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

Truly, I want to see music from Foreign artists, like from EU, AUS, CND, etc. Also, How about more comedy tracks/albums. And even some more soundtracks, like ST, SW, Red Dwarf..... I want theme songs.

TEG

21. macrumors regular

I hope iTunes and iTMS are out for Windows in October. Apple has a great opportunity. Look at how well it's going with a fraction of computer users (Macs only). Hopefully we'll also see iTMS go international soon.

22. macrumors 603

Stella

No, WMA is need required to be a successful for ANY music service.

WMA should not be promoted at any cost...
    ... in the end, Microsoft will screw the consumers and the services who provide WMA.

Microsoft will inflate the price of licensing WMA... I wouldn't be surprised that if WMA did become standard, MS would want payment PER PLAYBACK.

23. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I would agree, if he had to show a PC during a keynote it would make more sense to have a ThinkPad or ThinkCentre on stage along with Apple products then a Dell!

24. macrumors regular

iTunes as a player is a hell of a lot better than anything I've seen on the Windows platform. MusicMatch has skins, but MusicMatch is only skin deep.

Instantaneous searching, automatic playlists, network play, cross-fading, wonderful importing features, AAC-encoding, AIFF support (amazing how few Windows programs actually support this!), nice and visible equalizer settings, coupled with a wonderful interface that beats the crap out of everything else. Most importantly, it is completely FREE, unlike MusicMatch and the like,

25. macrumors regular

iTunes as a player is a hell of a lot better than anything I've seen on the Windows platform. MusicMatch has skins, but MusicMatch is only skin deep.

Instantaneous searching, automatic playlists, network play, cross-fading, wonderful importing features, AAC-encoding, AIFF support (amazing how few Windows programs actually support this!), nice and visible equalizer settings, coupled with a wonderful interface that beats the crap out of everything else. Most importantly, it is completely FREE, unlike MusicMatch and the like.