iTools... For a Price AKA .Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by FelixDerKater, Jul 15, 2002.

1. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

2. FelixDerKater thread starter macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Would you pay?

If Apple does start charging for iTools/.Mac would you pay or stop using it? Maybe this is going to be for a premium set of services...:confused:

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it would be a big mistake to get rid of any free options. plus, it'd be hard to do i would figure, what with all the people that have free setups now

however, i can understand not letting people just sign up for name after name after name for more space... and thus charging. and hopefully they'd add some more features, though i don't know what to ask for....

personally, i doubt i'd pay 100/year for any web service, but that's mainly cause my bro has a domain name and thus a decent amount of space. we'll see

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I hope this rumor isn't true. I'll be pissed if I have to pay for my mac.com e-mail address. What if it's $100 a year for advanced users who want souped up web hosting?

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's kinda what i expect if anything of the sort

they can't get rid of free email and web space. too many people using it already. it just wouldn't be right. think how many people use yahoo and hotmail free email accounts. to suddently say "hey, pay up"? wouldn't work...

but, "pay up if you want this and that feature"... sure. i buy it

6. FelixDerKater thread starter macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

One per person...

Yeah... I wouldn't think they'd take away our free eMail and websites and start charging for them. Maybe there is some way they could make sure that people only get one account per Mac (with OS 9 or X) or person. That would make more sense. Just charge for extra web space and "premium services". :cool:

7. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Can you imagine the reaction Steve would get at Macworld? Imagine you just told 200 mac fanatics that they have to pay for their iDisk and @mac.com address. I know that I would hate to deliver the news.

9. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

instead of ppl clapping for that, there'dd be lots of booing

10. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Maybe even worse then when billy boy showed up at Macworld Boston.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Is it just me...

Or has the ThinkSecret site gotten kinda bitchy with it's posts?

Everything since that whole "Apple not allowing rumor sites to be counted as Media" at MacWorld stuff. Look at the home page and the last couple of articles. All tinged (did I spell that right?) with negative comments.

At least Apple hasn't asked him to remove his Jaguar pics. So either he doesn't have anything Apple doesn't want us to know, or he doesn't have anything.

I dunno, the Jaguar info looks real to me.

12. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I hope this would include a domain name, free hosting, and maybe you would get unlimited transfer for your site and you could host more than just HTML, like PHP and all that

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

With six email addresses from my ISP, I don't have a use for a @mac.com addy... I could sign up for five other iDisk accounts though, and have one go to each of my other email addresses... :D

I just might have to do that... :D

14. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

lol when was this?
    n never heard of macworld boston :S

15. FelixDerKater thread starter macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

When...

That was back when Apple and M$ signed their agreement of cooperation and M$ bought a chunk of Apple shares. :cool:

16. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

.Mac services

It would depend on what else they offered. I already have my own website with all the name@barnhart.info I want. If it was just basically a 'website with email', no. I have that now with more control than I think Apple would give .Mac users.

However, if it was a bunch of new stuff, maybe tied to unreleased products (MacDVR, MacMP4), and you get a QuickTime Pro license and... and... and...