itrip or cassette?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ninja_Turtle, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

yeah, im just wondering, what would be better? itrip or cassette? my soon to be car has a cd player and no cassette player and the cd player plays no mp3 cds, so should i just leave the cd player and buy an iTrip, OR sell the cd player system, install a cassette player and hook up a cassette adaptor to my iPod...any one got any suggestions?

2. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

I sold my iTrip and I'll tell you why... Noise, as in, engine noise got picked up and transmitted so that I got alot of static and high pitched whistling. I'm back to the cassette. But if I were you, I'd pick out a receiver with an input for a mini-jack (line-in). That way you just plug straight in and skip the BS (bad sound). Rock!

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    the itrip suffers from some interference but i dont think its worth the money to change ur cd player into a casset, the previous has a poster has a good point, if you plan to change it might as well get a line in

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've never used the iTrip, so my input is of limited usefulness. My Sony cassette thingy works well, though I do hear some hiss. This may be that the cassette is dirty, or the heads in the cassette player are dirty.

I've read 2 separate threads on other forums where folks had similar problems as noted above with iTrips. In one of them, the dude couldn't have a lighter->firewire charger plugged into his iPod while he was using the iTrip. When it was plugged in, the interference was overwhelming his iTrip and he couldn't get anything but static laced music. I don't know how far you have to drive, but that was enough to keep me away from it.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed - don't change the stereo just for better sound, and, if you do change, get an input jack - however, most new systems at least have an aux input on the back if nowhere else, and adapters are sold to allow the iPod to connect there.

And the cassette interface isn't nirvana, BTW. It's just better than the FM broadcast method. But, in lieu of static, the cassette interface offers hiss.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh - a plus to the iTrip (or similar item) outside of while driving: in areas where you don't want to be conspicuous with your 'pod, you can broadcast to a little FM radio (like those for joggers) whilst keeping the 'pod safely hidden away. No one need know...

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah, so it isn't just me..

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nope. It might be better or worse for you, but I notice the same hiss in two different vehicles - one almost new - using two different cassette adapters. I think it's inherent. It can be reduced by increasing the iPod volume and reducing the car volume - increasing the signal, I mean. But it's still there.

9. kjgnola macrumors regular

I'm sure you guys know this already but, I'll throw it out there anyway...

The hiss may also be originating or enhanced by the Belkin iPod charger if you are using one. I have a deck with mini input in the face and experience hiss when I am charging the iPod on long trips. Once I unplug the charger no more hiss, just great sound.

10. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Just get a line in installed. That will be cheaper than replacing a CD deck with cassette deck. You will also get better sound quality than a cassette input.
    iTrip downright stinks in bigger cities. i only use mine when I am away from big cities and on highways. But I am planning on getting a line in whenever I get the chance to install them.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

And, of course - courtesy of a thread long ago - there's this as an option.

12. Ninja_Turtle thread starter macrumors 6502

party

thanks you guys :D im thinking of just connecting it to the AUX thingy on my system...thanks !

13. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I got the cassette from Xtreme Mac, and I had the Belkin transmitter, but it wouldn't work on any of the radio stations it let you use. The cassette works great for me, it has little to no hiss.

14. crowdaddy macrumors regular

I just picked up a RCA cassette adaptor...works good after some volume tinkering. Some songs sound tinny, but its great for what i paid for.