1. a17inchFuture macrumors regular

quick question about average range people get.

What do you guys get out of yours. I use it in my car ( a volvo) and the reception is crappy, I find. I hav eto place the ipod in my back seat (and above chest level for it to work, and that is kind of lame.

Do people actually (as they advertise on the web) get great range out of these? Or what about their tip to try and find a station in between like 97 and 103 for better reception? Is that true too?

2. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I have the iTrip and i find that i can't use it at all in Los Angeles, outside of LA, I can use it all I want and i get awesome reception. I used it up in Oregon and it was beautiful Stereo from the cup holder in my car. In may cars though, the antena is in the back windsheild, so that may be your issue, I drive an RSX and my antena is in the drivers A pillar.

3. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

trick question. It varies from vehicle to vehicle and from radio to radio. I've had superb reception on the stereo in my room one day and the next day if I move half an inch it all goes to static. FM transmission is a risky business. The itrip itself is not the issue. If its all you can manage to get together, then the itrip is pretty decent. However, a cassette adapter would be a better idea. Better yet is wiring your car for ipod.

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Mine works great, but then again, we have quite a few open channels here (Oviedo, Florida).

5. a17inchFuture thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i understand the statment about fm reception and all the channels being taken in major cities, etc.. However, what I think is bogus is that they advertise the frigging thing as usable from up to 50 feet or some crap, yet it has a range of more like two feet in my car, which has as powerful reception as a modern luxury car. Impressive product, I think not.

6. Gangrene macrumors newbie

I had a friend drive behind me, and he could pick it up on his radio. He had to be within a couple feet of my bumper to get it clearly though..

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I get about 2-3 feet, perhaps. From the radio itself. It depends on the angle, the station, etc. Bands between like 95-101 do indeed work the best, because the bands have better separation, but these channels are often very full in major cities. I have to pick a new station every time anymore, because atmospheric conditions affect which stations are clear and which are fuzzy.

It does suck, they should advertise more carefully. I find the iTrip to be increasingly cumbersome to use since I have to place it so carefully (i have actually gone to holding it, propped on the gearshift). I'll be getting a better car soon, so hopefully it'll improve... Tho i'll probably just install a hardwired connection.

paul

8. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Well I have gotten a solid 50 feet at times and can imagine better if in the right circumstances. It just doesn't happen all that often and certainly not in a moving vehicle. Usually if I balance it just so on the dash, but sometimes I need to be touching the transmitter. Other times, if I touch it, it causes the worst static. Very finicky. That's why I would recommend hard-wired if you can. That doesn't mean I don't get use out of it, but fm certainly isn't the best choice.

9. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

well, i use it at home and can listen to my music everywhere i've tried.. the distances have been from 5 to 10 meters. so it's probably your car creating the interference. actually i shouldn't be posting this here because i'm not supposed to use this device in finland since it's illegal in europe (it's a pirate radio!!! yeah, right). luckily my neighbours aren't getting the signals (the distance grows too big).

10. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

YOu might try hooking into the power plug too...mine works much better when not running solely off the battery and plugged into the dash. I can use it, with clear to fairly clear quality, in BOSTON, so don't buy the "major cities don't work" deal. I use 97.5 by the way...and the itrip overrides a weaker air station.