iTrip released yet?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sosumi, May 25, 2003.

1. sosumi macrumors member

Has anybody tried the iTrip yet? If the sound quality is good this device is a must-have. Too bad it's not legal with FM-transmitters in Sweden, guess I'll have to import it and pay more for delivery than the actual product. Maybe Apple should rename the iPod to iPot now... just a thought.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

they've been shipping for several weeks now. i've had mine about a week; at first i was pissed that it didn't work at all, but after adjusting the iPod volume to about 55% (a must) and playing with the station settings, i can get pretty good reception anywhere within 3 feet of the stereo. It's not perfect-- there's a high-pitched AM whine, or crackling, and some audio bands get distorted-- also, mine works considerably less well on cloudy days (i think it has to do with the clouds bouncing more FM signals down in the form of noise). Go figure. but i still love mine-- i don't look so dorky driving around with headphones :)

pnw

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I ordered mine in march and it shipped on 5/23/03. Its arriving the 28th I can't wait to mess with it. I will be sure to share my thoughts. Rumor has it that it also works with the iBook (ones that have the ring around the headphones jack like the old ipod) I can't wait to try that too but my iBooks in the shop. Only a few more days.

Isn't it illegal to drive with headphones on....

4. benjaminpg macrumors regular

It has been released. Keep in mind, though, that it won't work with the new iPods with dock connectors.

You can read many reader reports at Macintouch:

http://www.macintouch.com/ipod21.html

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

depends entirely on where you live. some states yes, some no, some depending on the setup-- keeping in mind that they prefer you use handsfree cell phones than regular ones--

:)
    pnw

6. MacVault macrumors 65816

Will the iTrip work on other devices besides the iPod? If I'm going to spend the money to buy one I would really like it to also work on my Powerbook so I can broadcast from my Powerbook. I know the tuning is controlled buy the iPod in the form of "sounds" or whatever it is. Anyone know the answer to this???

7. DeKa macrumors member

Is that all? 3 feet? Wow.
    I'm really glad I got my CCrane FM Transmitter then. http://www.ccrane.com/fm_transmitter_in_radio_accessories.asp

I get HEAPS more distance than that - I can tell my friends 'tune to 94.4' or whatever while we're driving along and they can listen to my music within say 40-50m clearly - anymore than that and it gets crackly. I have no problems with interference at all.... and I can use it with any device that has a 3.5mm socket.

The other thing is, to set a frequency there's a digital tuner with external buttons - you just use those, rather than having to find a playlist to change channels if you drive into an area where there's an FM station using that frequency (eg when driving from Sydney-Melbourne or somewhere in the country)

I think it would all be worth considering instead of the iTrip. I've had my CCrane unit for almost 12 months and I'm very happy with it. I know it's a bit more expensive but surely a product that works is worth it.

Derek

8. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

The FCC doesn't allow a tranmitter this strong in the U.S. :mad: . How much is 80 Aus dollars in US dollars, anyways?

9. DeKa macrumors member

It's US$80 - I bought it from CCrane in Fortuna, California. The instructions in the box say it complies with FCC regulations (part 15) and it has an FCC logo on the device.

It cost me nearly AU$160 at the time (it was AU$1 = US$0.52 when I bought it). The iTrip is AU$130 in Australia.

Derek.

10. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Well, the AUSD is up to around .60c USD it would be cheaper BUT I don't think I'll go to America to buy an FM transmitter.

3Ring has done a review of the iTrip.

Also iPodlounge has a review and...

11. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

12. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I emailed them that very same question and they said it only will work with the iPod.

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

14. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Could you ever look 'dorky'!? ;)

15. DeKa macrumors member

Wardofsky,

I just rang up and ordered one over the phone. I was on the phone for a whole of 5 minutes... and they e-mailed me when it shipped. It was here in Sydney within 2 days :cool:

Derek

16. wilhelmd macrumors member

If you can somehow emulate the power-source (external batteries, anyone?), then you could use it with any sort of minijack device! I could hook up my pocket raidio to listen to raidio on my other raido... or was that.... dang.

The tuning is controlled via controll sounds (MP3-files) that you can play on any MP3-device (PowerBook), or burn to a CD.

I ordered mine a long time ago, and it's still not shipped... :(