iTrip to be banned in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dops7107, May 18, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4993528.stm

So it is already banned, strictly speaking - I'd be surprised if there are any reported or known cases where hey actually caused interference **checks page to read article properly...**

2. macrumors 68040

emotion

It's defintely a banned device in the UK. With little reason it seems.

3. Guest

iGary

This is the kind of silly thing that makes me rethink wanting to move to the UK. Of course we have our share of silly things, too. Like gay marriage.

Back on topic, then. :D

4. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just as well my iTrip is a useless piece of crap and I never use it then, isn't it.

5. macrumors 68040

emotion

Despite some of the stupid things the UK govt does it's still an interesting place to live.

I never used to think like that until I travelled.

6. macrumors 68040

plinden

Oops, so I broke the law when I was in the UK over Christmas.

Were there any reports of interference on broadcast radio then? I would hate to have lowered people's enjoyment of the Top 40 countdown.

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic)

I think it depends on where you use it. I get a lot of static on every channel on my morning commute through San Francisco, but only from where 280 North meets the 101, to halfway across the Bay Bridge. Otherwise it's fine.

7. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

I had a transmitter that was disguised as a charger which plugged into the cigarette lighter. Forget what it was called. :confused: It was brilliant but I somehow managed to misplace it. Now I'm reduced to the iTrip .. which sucks big time! :mad:

My only alternative is to find a way to wire the iPod directly to the car stereo or buy a new car. :p

8. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You need a licence to broadcast a radio signal, an iPod and iTrip is basically a pirate radio station.

9. macrumors regular

ToastMaster

iTrip, schmiTrip. I've been using a tape adapter in my car stereo since my first iPod. Works just fine.

10. macrumors regular

The itrip problem is perhaps it can select any FM frequency and get picked up by any other nearby FM radio.
    I'm not sure what broadcasting class a 20-30 foot/ 10 meter maximum device would be? :)
    Think it's more about an excessive range of "interference" to someone elses FM radio musical enjoyment, and on just about any frequency.

-
    dave