iTrip tweak...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by eclipse525, Dec 11, 2004.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Is there anyway to tweak the iTrip so it puts out a stronger signal? I know all about the FCC law thing BUT what if you just wanted to tinker, is there a way or has anybody done this?

~e

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I just bought one for my new car, figured the cassette adapter was no good for the stereo in the Acura TL. Any NYC people have a frequency to recommend? Pretty hard to find one. So far, less than thrilled with the iTrip.

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

The iTrip doesn't work very good at all in large cities with tons of radio stations as you've found out. I live in the Finger Lakes Region of NYS and it works great around here. I hope that car manufacturers start following BMW in making a port to plug your iPod into the car stereo which will solve everyone's problems. Its not up to Apple to do this...its up to the car manufacturers to develop this technology and implement it into their cars.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I live around Philly and find a cassette adapter works much better. It's not perfect, but at least I don't have to play with it every time I get in the car. I sold my iTrip after only having it 1 week.

5. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Yeah, i was just in NYC last night and it's tough finding a good frequency but I was using 94.9 and that was somewhat decent. As I got outside the City heading up towards Westchester, I continued to use 94.9 but also found 101.3 to work pretty good. I guess it's just a matter of playing around in different area's until you get a good feel for what works where best. Thank God they have a hug spectrum to choose from, NOT like my crappy Belkin i bought a while back.

The cassette adapter really is the best for sound quality but the wires are such a pain in the Arssss! I think it's the CAR Radio makers that need to incorporate Line-In jacks to the front of their radios. That would be the BEST option. Even better than the Cassette adapters.

~e

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

There's a hack (don't have the link, I live in the middle of nowhere, so I don't have a problem) that breaks the antennae out of the plastic case and positions it vertically, rather than its normal horizontal orientation. This is supposed to improve performance measurably. If you Google around, you should be able to find it. Whether this will be enough to overcome the interference in an RF environment like NYC, Chicago etc., I'm not sure, but it can't hurt.

7. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Yeah, I think this is what you are talking about. iTrip Hack

~e

8. Wash!! macrumors 6502

I found 94.5 to be the best around NYC and Westchester

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I don't seem to get it to work, I set it to a station and nothing. And I have a convertible, so the roof can't stop the signal!

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I used to have a TL. You have a beautiful car, don't waste that system with an iTrip. Do it the right way like I did and hardwire it, it's the only way to go.

jon

11. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

LOL!..... I dont' know if you read the instructions but it confused the hell out of me at first.

The iTrip stations show up in your playlist. Go to that playlist and scroll to the station you want and then hit the center button/enter button as if you were playing a song. When you see the RED light on the iTrip start flashing, HIT the PAUSE button. You are now locked into that station. How, I have now freakin idea but you are. Now all you have to do is tune into that station and play any song. NOW, if you know all this already, then forgive me for babbling.....<LOL>

~e

12. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I agree... it you have a nice car and a good radio, i'd spend the money to have one of these install shops hook up a hardwire connection. This way it sounds better and looks cleaner than the cassette adapter.

~e

13. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Thanks. I had a 2002 Type S and just got the 2005. The stereo in this thing is nothing short of phenomenal. Since my lease is pretty long term (42 months), I think I will look into hardwiring it.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Yeah, I had an Acura TL Type S 2002 as well, Diamond White. Such a wonderful car. I looked on Blitzsafe's site and they didn't have the new models listed as supported. I would give them a call and see if they have anything in the works, also talk to your Acura dealer and see if anyone knows if there is even a aux data port in the back, maybe someone at Panasonic will know as well.

jon