Its A Bad Hurricane Season - But What About Next Year....

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So after the fiasco of Katrina and the pending one of Rita, this has turned out to be a very bad year for storms - and, unfortunately, the season isn't over. With all the talk of global warming and stronger storms, what are people going to do if things like this happen *every* year?

I'd like to get the view points from people who live down south and have had to deal with these or other hurricanes in the past.

D

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Hurricanes are a "random" occurence.

Prediction is impossible.

Next year can be less or far worse than this year. There is no telling. if it IS as bad next year as this year, we as a country are f*cked but thats what we get for living on planet earth I guess.

Get a helmet, hurricances are nothing like earthquakes. You know when a hurricane will hit welll in advance, making them not "disasters" in the same sense an earthquake is a disaster.

I live in florida.

And while I will take anychance to bad motuh Dubbya, Global Warming from a scientific (NOT environmentalist) point of view cant be proven.

All the data on global warming is only a few decades old. And over GEOLOGICAL TIME, which is how weather and the way the Earth functions is measured, this is less than a fleeting moment.

So with that in mind, just cuz the last few years have been "hotter" doesnt mean that it will continue that way. As it stands you cant predict global warming anymore than you can predict the coming of the next ice age. It takes too long for permanent changes in the earths environment. How long did it take to go from methane and CO2 to a 28% oxygen atmosphere, ~BILLIONS of years. So 20-50yrs of "global warming" data isnt enough and never will be.

But it cant be ignored that greenhouse gases and all that toxic crap IS BAD FOR THE PLANET.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As a peripheral survivor of Hurricanes Hugo, Fran, and Floyd, among others, I think the big things that people learn are:

1. Don't build TOO close to the shore. There's simply way too much footage of über-expensive beach houses falling into the water when a storm erodes away the sand from underneath the house.

2. Design and build for a hurricane environment. My aunt and uncle live on Masonboro Sound in Wilmington, and the windows of their house are protected by permanently installed hurricane shutters which they leave up most of the time... if a hurricane is coming, all my uncle has to to is spend 10 minutes walking around the house and knocking out the supports for each shade... the shutter falls down and locks into place (unlocking it and putting the shutter back up is quite a bit more work). Also, the entire house is built on a full slab, on top of which there is an 8-foot high layer of brick and concrete before the house proper. With this design, they went through Floyd, Isabel, and a few other storms with ZERO damage.

3. Don't build in a flood plain. This is good advice ANYWHERE, although some people are obviously too stupid to heed it.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Well duh, house of straw and sticks blew away, brick stands strong.

Why people in Homestead, Florida had built their houses out of either ALL WOOD or only first floor cement walls is beyond me.

Living in florida, near the coast, your house SHOULD NOT be made of "weak" building materials. Thats just common sense.

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

With global warming and not enough action to rectify it. It's only going to get worse. :eek:

People only think of themselves, what about mother nature. Very little if any thing is done for her, she has to fight back somehow. :rolleyes:

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I don't know, I just hope we don't get any bad ones where I am for the next three years or so. Give me time to finish my Master's degree, sell my condo and get the f*** out of here (as is my plan).

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

With global warming, its sure to get worse next year!!!!!!!!!!!

What a load of BS.

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Someone is living in a crevice for the past decade. :rolleyes:

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Neither position is right or wrong at the point. The head researcher with the WMO says that studies still need to be conducted, however it would also seem that in the past there have been some strong storms may it be snow, wind, rain far few than at present.

As stated it is only going to get worse till the balance is regained. Its not going to escalate and continue on that path its going to subside. When that will happen no one knows yes, as we do not know the peek yet.

Much is to be seen. :)

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Not quite that stinky - the warmer waters in the gulf just provide more energy to the hurricanes themselves. So where before we might have seen C1 or C2 hurricanes they might gain significant energy to be C3-C5.

In other parts of the country, global warming is equated more with a change in seasonal weather patterns, but the sea temperatures and more importantly the arctic areas have dramatically increased. The poles have seen more change than anywhere else and what's going to happen when ever more permafrost mets is quite scary.

D

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

So your assertation is that since nature takes a long time to make changes on it's own, any changes we make much faster will be OK. That makes sense, insomuch as now i know that the anti-global-warming people just aren't applying any logic anymore.

13. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

My thoughts exaclty.
    Sdashiki, when people talk about global warming, they usually don't refer to the phenomenon per se (which is a natural process that changes climate slowly over thousands of years), but to the part of it that is caused by human activities (which is a rapid change of climate due to the emission of greenhouse gases).

Well that's interesting, but "actual" scientists mostly agree that it is real:

Anyway, what can't be easily proven is that these hurricanes are related to global warming, not that global warming is taking place.

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i find it very funny that some scientists have actually stated that we are in a mini iceage and that the earth has gotten colder over the past 6000 years but now after ten years of it getting minutely hotter its turned into......OMFGBBQ!!!one11