Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
hey guys,

been running the GM of snow leopard for a bit, cant say much...but what i can say is....

the air has had a big decrease in operating temps and very very good fan control after SL.

its 32C here today, prior to updates i would have temps of 55-60 and the fan would be at 6000+ rpm. seemed once it got hot it would never cool down for a long time.

now its 32 today i got to run the snow leopard test....temps are 50-55c , fans running at 2400 rpms , once i do anything intensive the fans ramp up to 4500-6000 rpms once the load is removed the fans get back to 2400 rpm in 15 mins or less in this heat.

im in a unairconditioned building too which is very hot 30+ inside....i drink alot of water...lol

anyone else experience this on regular leopard?

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
On my Late 2008 Aluminum MacBook, temps are usually around 120 F. I feel that that is cold for a laptop, but not complaining.:D The only time it gets "hot" (140 F +), is when in Photoshop or watching movies (Not YouTube). I feel that Apple finally got the temps right, and will continue to improve it in future OS releases and future products. I am running Leopard.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
hey guys,

been running the GM of snow leopard for a bit, cant say much...but what i can say is....

the air has had a big decrease in operating temps and very very good fan control after SL.

its 32C here today, prior to updates i would have temps of 55-60 and the fan would be at 6000+ rpm. seemed once it got hot it would never cool down for a long time.

now its 32 today i got to run the snow leopard test....temps are 50-55c , fans running at 2400 rpms , once i do anything intensive the fans ramp up to 4500-6000 rpms once the load is removed the fans get back to 2400 rpm in 15 mins or less in this heat.

im in a unairconditioned building too which is very hot 30+ inside....i drink alot of water...lol

anyone else experience this on regular leopard?

I do notice when I'm running SL, the fans tend to be more "active" rather then revving up to 6200rpm and staying there for the whole night.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I HOPE that Snow Leopard fixes the 6200 RPM fan issue that the Rev A MacBook Air has. That would be amazing.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I HOPE that Snow Leopard fixes the 6200 RPM fan issue that the Rev A MacBook Air has. That would be amazing.

In theory, I don't understand how running Snow Leopard would cool down an MBA??? It's not like there are apps that would be currently taking massive advantage with OpenCL or Grand Central Dispatch??? It would make sense in the future when Snow Leopard spreads work over multiple processors and cores... but is that really happening to such a grand scale as to make notable differences with anything right now?

Would love to learn why Snow Leopard would "fix" an original MBA's component combination failures? Here is the thing, SL will not be capitalizing on the Intel 3100 integrated graphics, as it's not supported with OpenCL. There are no 64-bit drivers for the Intel 3100, so kernel will not run in 64-bit. Will Grand Central even share load onto Intel graphics? All points lead to continued failure of the original MBA.

Now consider a rev B/C. Has 64-bit CPU and Nvidia GPU. Will capitalize on OpenCL as the Nvidia 9400m is compatible. Will run 64-bit kernel. Will take advantage of Grand Central with multiple cores from Penryn CPU. The reason Apple started including the 9400m in MBA was for Snow Leopard capabilities.

I am really looking forward to Snow Leopard on my rev C MBA with SSD. The experience should be wonderful, with the MBA having the components necessary to capitalize on all advancements in Snow Leopard. In fact, I think this will further highlight how superior the rev B/C MBA is and how worthless the original MBA was/continues to be going forward with Snow Leopard.

Bring on the SNOW!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.