It's a sad day...........

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wwooden, Mar 3, 2005.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I decided to not continue my .Mac account when it came around this time. Today is my first day with out it and I get this message when I go to the .Mac page. Just thought I would share it with anyone who is a .Mac member and thinking about ending it. You have to put up with this sad face.

Attached Files:

2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Yeah, I remember getting this as well. Nice try, Apple. In the end, I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would. It helps that I got in on a special deal at for $10 for a year's worth of web space, e-mail, etc. I think I might stick with that kind of thing and renew next year, even for the "retail" price of $120 or whatever.
  3. firewizard macrumors member

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    why are you closing the .mac anyway. and thats a smart tactic on apples part, that sad face makes me want to go and sign back up again! :D
  4. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I didn't feel like paying the $100 to renew. I have a gmail account, so I have all the e-mail storage I will ever need. I also have online storage and webpage hosting through my university for free. I don't use the homepage stuff anymore, I just post pictures on my other site so that wasn't needed. They only thing i am really giving up is the Backup program, but there are plenty of others that i can use to do the same thing.
  5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I don't think I can ever make that kind of sad face happen on anything, digital or real. Apple will have my $100 every year from now until my death... :) (that should be a frowny face but I can't bear making one)
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Did that message give you any second thoughts wwooden?

Wonder just how successful that message has been for Apple. Seeing that would cause me to have second thoughts.
  7. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I didn't renew mine when it came up last year and I honestly only miss the E-mail address, I rarely used my .mac homepage, and the virus protection just got anoying so I disabled it. I really wish apple offered an e-mail only option, I just can't justify the $100 dollars when all I use is the E-mail.
  8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    There's marketing psychology working at its finest. :D And yes, I too would have second thoughts if I saw that. But then again, we're all so emotionally attached to Apple... wonder if a recent switcher would care as much?
  9. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    This is why I'm going to try to buy a new Mac every year - usually, there's a deal where you get .Mac for $70 with a new Mac. Sure, the Mac might cost a couple of grand, but there's that $30 savings to consider....

10. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm only interested in the Mac email and homepage and $100 a year is just way too much. I have 250 mb of free email w/ Yahoo, that's enough.
  11. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    $100 is a rip off. I can pay around that much for 1,200 MB of webspace, 5 emails, my own domain name, phhB forum tools, and over 50GB of traffic. Sure you don't get the ease of use of .Mac, but Apple's offering is way overpriced by about 8x.
  12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Think of all the money you would waste if you didn't by a new Mac each year for that $30 savings!
  13. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    One of my buddies bought a .mac renewal from an eBay seller for $65 or $70. He didn't pay shipping because he got the renewal code sent to him via email. He entered the activation code and it worked. So, you don't have to buy a new Mac to get .mac at a discount.

About the sad face, I agree that's pretty intensely guilt trippy. :)
  14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    That is all I want it for as well. Email. I have all the storage I need and virus protection? From WHAT?! :)
  15. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    The only thing that i enjoyed from .Mac - was its Desktop iDisk server.. I can get access to my "virtual" online hard drive.. i loved that.