It's a scam, the iMac is really not thin!

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by WardC, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 68030

WardC

It's only thin at the edges. It's actually as thick as the older model towards the center of the machine....the only thin parts are around the bezel edges where it tapers off.

I had the idea that Apple that pioneered this revolutionary new design which was a 5mm thick panel, using thin drives and flash memory to reduce size. It's all really a gimmick, the thing is not thin. The 2011 iMac is still a helluva machine, and the new "design" is not much to brag about.

2. macrumors 65816

Thank you Captain Obvious. It's the thinnest all-in-one computer out right now. It's not even that much thicker in the middle.

3. macrumors 603

mrkramer

You're just now realizing that it's tapered? That said, I'm still not sure of the point of it being thin since it's a desktop...

4. thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

But the 5mm thickness is not uniform, it's an oblong taper that bulges in the middle. It's not 5mm thick in the middle, it's more like 25mm or 30mm thick.

5. macrumors newbie

We all knew this already. The nice thing about it is actually that it's hard to see the bulge, from most angles it appears to be 5mm thin, it's a nice optical illusion.

6. macrumors 68000

So what do you suggest?

Let's all boycott Apple!

They tell me it's 5mm and it's not!! You have eyes right??

7. macrumors 6502

8. macrumors 68000

Outrigger

oh snap! I bought the machine thinking the whole thing is thinner than the iphone 5. false advertising!!!

9. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really dude? A 5mm thin all-in-one computer? Really?

10. macrumors G3

NT1440

No one ever claimed it was 5mm thick. In fact the keynote specifically mentioned the taper, which has many useful ventilation benefits.

11. macrumors 65816

Can't fool you!!!!

12. macrumors 65816

So what? All the photo's I've seen from the Post Your Workstation, it "looks" thin all around. It's a look, that's it. As for me I'll keep my 2009 iMac until it dies.

13. macrumors 6502a

Understandable. I can imagine some people could think that it's just a big iPad on a stand. Apple did make a big deal about removing the DVD drive, so I can see why some people would assume that it would be a lot thinner, rather than only thinner on its edge.

Out of interest, at its bulgiest point, is it just as thick as the old iMac?

And in fact, take a look at the photos on the iMac page - they're all taken at an angle that shows-off the edge but hides the true thickness. There is just one image - the smallest of them all - showing its true thickness.

http://www.apple.com/uk/imac/

14. macrumors 65816

They didn't scam anyone, he should have actually played with the iMac before buying it.

I'd say the bulgiest point is just a little bit thinner than the old iMac.

15. macrumors newbie

Yeah but that's how it actually looks on your desk. You have to basically be looking at it straight on sideways (not sure the best way to phrase that) to see the bulge, it tapers off real fast. Plus they do have some shots on the site that show the bulge.

16. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If I recall the Keynote address, Phil Schiller even showed how it was thin at the edges and then tapered wider toward the middle. So this was known from day one of introduction.

17. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Ward: it really is only 5mm thin...what your seeing is the Imac baby fat,which disappears over time...it's a apple only innovation!

18. macrumors regular

I bet the 2012 iMac looks great mounted on the wall being as thin as it is... Whoops sorry :)

19. macrumors regular

I think you need to return yours. It's obviously a defect, everybody else's is only 5mm thin.

I guess someone did not look at 2012 iMac news until today. I bet if I ask my grandma she'll know only the edges are 5mm.

20. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

This one in the gallery clearly shows the side view...

[​IMG]

Click image for full size

21. macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

it's not a scam, just effective marketing/advertising :D

22. macrumors 68020

Acorn

apples bulge is nothing. you should see my bulge.

23. macrumors 6502a

I was at Bestbuy yesterday and they had a 2012 27" iMac and a 27" Thunderbolt display almost next to each other, and the ATD sure looked chunky compared to the iMac.

24. macrumors regular

Pure awesome

25. macrumors 6502

oililymad

So you just spent thousands of dollars on something to didnt even bother to check out either at the apple special event, their website. The photos everywhere?

You just pressed click without looking at what you are buying?

I don't recommend you ever shop on eBay

Don't suppose you were the person that paid ~$300 for an iMac box recently?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.