"It's a Wonderful Life" commie propaganda

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Ran across this piece in my wanderings and thought it interesting and amazingly still topical. Just something to think about while contemplating the meaning of "Zuzu's petals."

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's pretty amazing. Even more so when you consider that Capra spent much of his wartime career making the "Why We Fight" series of films. During the late 1940s, nobody was above suspicion. A thought to remember.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I am at a loss for a response to this.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for those of you who've not seen john huston's army-censored "documentary" Let There Be Light, i recommend it.

the army considered that showing shell-shocked soldiers damaged their image and would hurt recruitment. from here:

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

From what I've read since Hoover's death, the Feebies were pretty nutzoidal on the subject of Communism. It was so bad that "just folks" weren't ever really educated on the difference between the USSR system and ours. This led to a helluva lot of angst when US prisoners were questioned and subject to the brainwashing efforts in Korea. It's hard to argue with somebody who knows his system and yours, from A to Z, but you don't anything of his, and aren't really coherent about your own.

Back in the late 1940s/early 1950s, if you tried to have the free-wheeling political discussions like we do here, you'd have folks all walleyed at the weirdness, and a bunch of phone wires getting hot with calls to the Feebies.

'Rat

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And you're positive that's not happening now?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, they've improved the wiring.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Replaced with a series of tubes, no doubt.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I don't doubt the monitoring, but nothing comes of it. Don't we talk about all manner of things, and do a lot of name-calling of the political opposition? You're still here; I'm still here.

But in the 1940s/1950s, just-folks were paranoid, and quite likely to drop a dime on a neighbor.

Heck, I've been making negative comments about politicos since I first got on the Internet. 1997? I disremember. And I'm not about to quit...

Speak into my pen, okay?

:D, 'Rat

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Would you acquiesce so casually to mandatory gun registration?

Yes, but I'm typing from my cell in Guantánamo.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I dunno, let's try talking about maybe getting some people involved in some Islamic charity work and see what happens? Maybe someone might "drop a dime" on us then?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Caring about others and your community has been frowned on in this country for a long time (at least when it comes to economic interests). The most recent example would be Walmart or the eminent domain problems that seem to be coming up of late. They can now take your property to build a mall if they want.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They always could.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, there's a serious difference between discussing the relative merits/demerits of political systems, and advocating some sort of action. I dont' doubt that some Islamic charities are indeed pure of heart; others have been proven to be fronts for groups taking the money intended for food/clothing, etc., and using it to buy weaponry. IOW, bad example. :)

Since last summer when the governor called a special session of the Lege to wipe out the "public benefit" aspect of eminent domain, Texas is back to "public use" as written in the Constitution. WalMart's out of luck, there.

'Rat

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The fundamental problem being, a "public use" can easily be a "private benefit," so little really changes by shuffling around a few words in the state laws. Nothing substitutes for citizens keeping track of their local government's activities.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, that's exactly the example I'm going for. Someone would likely drop a dime on us if we started getting too busy raising money for some of these charities, no?

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

IJ, I'm pretty sure you're "up" on the Kelo decision, where SCOTUS equated use and benefit, based on the old Urban Renewal case. The TexLege went back to actual use by the public, not a benefit via increased taxation to local government. Certainly, compared to Kelo, it's a hellluva great improvement.

mac, I run my mouth as happy as I please; always have and I'll never change. "Yeah, he must be dead. He didn't make a smartmouth remark." It's not really nice, I guess, to pick on goobermint folks; no competition, really. Unfair to attack the defenseless.

(I'd have loved to have been around for the aftermath when I blew the doors off LBJ's big fat Lincoln, near his ranch on US 290. He didn't think a (bleep, bleep, bleep) "punk kid" in a '67 Camaro should have passed him at 120 and climbing. The chief of security didn't let on that I was the chief's next-door neighbor. Or that our burro was named Lyndon Baines Jackass.)

As far as anything else, it's the usual case-by-case deal, and I'm not much on strange charities. :) My charitable stuff is pretty much reserved for Terlinguoids.

Happy New Year!

'Rat