It's all gone dark! Emergency help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lisam, Sep 21, 2005.

1. lisam macrumors newbie

I have just restarted my computer and now the screen brightness is very low - I'm struggling to see what I'm typing here!
    This happened before but all I had to do was go into Displays and change the slider. Unfortuntaley it's missing this time and the F1 & F2 keys are doing nothing!
    Help! I'm using a Powerbook G4 15" Titanium, Tiger OS, etc. etc.
    It's crucial that I fix this problem, I film underwater and edit on my laptop - it's my job and I need my screen!
    I've tried PRAM etc and nothing has changed. I've turned my computer off for a while to see if that would help - nothing.
    I'm running out of options, and time - I leave on assignment tomorrow evening!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Do you have access to an external monitor? At least with that you could see what's going on.

Hopefully, this is not because your screen backlight went out or is almost dead. It happened after a reboot? And when you say the slider in Displays is "missing", do you mean that you can't see it because of the dimness of the screen or that you see the Displays panel but there is no slider?

3. lisam thread starter macrumors newbie

it's completely missing - i can see the screen enough to be able to type, it's about half it's brightness.
    yes, after a reboot.
    backlight? is that a common thing? expensive to fix? could it be??

4. Chamir macrumors newbie

They only things you can try here is to do a pmu reset since you already have done pram. Pmu reset on your computer should be Shift+Ctrl+Alt and then tap the powerbutton when the computer is off. After this release the keys. The computer should not start. Wait 5 and then turn it on again. If you have the same issue try boot from the install disc. If this don't help you need to take it in for service.

You can try reloading the graphics by pressing apple+alt+a+v during boot but I am not sure this will help you in this case.

You can also reset nv ram just to make the service provider happy. You do this by holding down apple+alt+o+f on boot and then type reset-nvram and press enter, then set-defaults and press enter and the last thing to type is reset-all and press enter. Now you have done everything you can possible do.

Take out all devices from the computer before doing all this ofcourse.

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Wow, a very useful comment by a very, very new member!
    Welcome to MacRumors! The people are very nice here and you will have a great stay!

Hope everything works out for you!

6. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

7. lisam thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the double post, i wasn't sure I posted in the correct forum in the first place and wasn't sure i'd get a speedy response because of it. Apologies!
    Just to let everyone know, I fixed the problem with another PRAM and found out it's a common problem with Tiger and Apple's aware of it.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It screamed of PRAM issues but it's strange that it didn't work the first time. :confused: