its almost time for my first mac purchase! help please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by count chocula, May 24, 2006.

1. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i will be ordering my first mac product on june 3rd, and i'm super excited. i will be ordering a 2ghz macbook with 1 gb of ram and a 120 gb hdd. i'm not 100% sure which color i want (i've seen both in person), but i'm leaning towards black. any suggestions or help for a first time mac buyer?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

4. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

lol, umm yellowish and old. pretty ugly, but i never notice them

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Then you definitely want white :rolleyes:

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well I was kidding with that but... :)

Get the black. You're leaning towards it. If $150 is worth it being black instead of white... go for it! I don't really think anybody can "help" you here.

7. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

yea, i have a friend who might have a white macbook before i order mine. so i should be able to have a good look at it before i order. i'm not so much looking for help with the color, just things in general. this will be the first computer i've ever bought, not to mention the first thing i've bought that has costed more than $300

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Same here, my first Mac was my first major purchase, and it's awesome. It seems like you've got everything figured out. Think about getting Applecare for you MacBook. I've read it's good insurance, for laptops especially.

9. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i'm planning on extending it once the one year mark approaches.. i have been planning this for a while, i have been planning/ thinking about it since march 20th :eek:

10. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Do you live near an apple store? It seems a lot of people instantly know when they can see both models at once which they prefer.

11. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i paid a visit to an apple store last weekend, and i played around with both the white and black models. in hindsight, i wish i would have spent more time checking out the body of the white macbook. i spent a decent amount of time examining the black macbook's body and i was very impressed.

12. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

I don't like the Black. Personal opinion though. I don't think I could ever own a Black Apple product that isn't an iPod. I would save the money buy some nice accessories for my White MB.

13. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Count...how is this your first mac product buy ever? Your sig says right there that you already have a clamshell ibook?

14. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

thanks for your opinion. that also brings up another thing, accesories. i would like a bag, and maybe other things. could any of you guys suggest anything?

15. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

it was sitting in my dads basement for several years before i asked if i could have it. :D nice spot

16. Zeeshan macrumors newbie

The only black apple product that I like is a black iPod. If you're gonna get a notebook, go with White. Signature apple color.

17. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

go white and stick it to the man. shellin out 150 extra bucks for white, unless your a business-y guy that cares what others think of you.

i'm getting my mom a white one 2.0ghz stock. granted, she loves the pristine apple white that my imac has, but its pretty much an apple signature, as aforementioned, and you gotta donn it. keepin it real..

18. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

to the guys saying i should get white: i wouldnt be too surprised if i end up getting white. i have a friend that might be getting a white macbook next week. i really like his, i might change my mind. right now i'm leaning towards black, though.

19. SJK123 macrumors member

What do you think of the 13" screen size on the macbook. I went to see it at an apple store and it seemed pretty small to me.

20. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i really liked the screen, it seemed to have plenty of real estate to me. also, although i was initially upset about the glossy screens, after seeing them in person i like/dont mind them. they arent to reflective, apple obviously didnt over do it, thankfully.

21. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

can anybody suggest some accesories or other things i should order with it? i would like a case/bag for it, but i havent seen any so far and i dont want to spend alot of money on one.