It's ba-a-a-ack!! Bush sneaks Social Security privatization into his budget bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Remember in Bush's state of the union speech when he admitted failure at Social Security privatization and the Democrats cheered? Well, Dubya had a little trick hidden up his sleeve:

Link

Please, dear Lord, let Congress have enough sense to strike this from the budget.

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Please No! I am just under the age where privatization would become optional (in other words, it would be mandatory for me) but close enough to retirement for this to scare the living daylights out of me. I already have to worry about investment options for my 401(k) plan (and get scared every time I see it losing money), and now they want to make me manage my own SS fund as well? Please, I have enough to worry about without that.

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You approve of this sort of duplicity? Of trying to force something down Americans' throats that they obviously don't want?

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

And as David Cross said: "Why not just bet it on a ****ing horse?!"

Privatization will kill Social Security, not that I'm going to have any when I'm finally at that age anyway. What a waste. Dubbaya is a jackass.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Are you expecting a reasonable response?

I would actually like to know why some people think spending more on SS to gamble with people's money is a good idea, but I've never gotten a reasonable response. How anyone thinks this will save SS is beyond me, but I do know that the people who vote most are against this. I hope whoever supports this has an opponent who brings this up in the next election. If it doesn't die a quick death again, it's a good hot button issue right along with the right to die. Also important with those who tend to vote.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

karma would be that anyone who supports it would be afflicted with some kind of long term disability. because, after all, SS is just a retirement program, right :rolleyes:

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Of course not. But reading the responses of those who defend W -- and the tortured, fact-free logic contained therein -- is something of an out-of-body experience. Sort of like an acid trip sans the drugs. :D

8. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Bush appologists are quite infuriating. Mostly because they usually try to change the subject to point out irrelevant things or refuse to look past their own nose.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If Govt and this president would keep its hands off SS it would be fine, but since they keep stealing from this fund it aint no wonder there are problems, Clinton had shored up SS very well but Bush spent everything in his quest to get Saddam and those WMDs that never showed.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Both.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's only a stereotype because it's true. Damn liberals hippies (which is somehow not a stereotype). :p

Seriously, ONE good (non-vague) reason why someone would like Bush. Just 1. All I ask. 1.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Because he's not as bad as, um, God, there's got to be someone, um, oh, I know: Ming the Merciless. What do you mean, "He doesn't count"?

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I can think of many reasons why any one particular person would like Bush (tax cuts, no-bid contracts, profit boosts in oil, etc.) What I can't figure out is what he has done to keep ~40% of John Q. Public liking him. If you are not wealthy, working in defense or working in the oil industry, what has he done to deserve your support?

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Clinton got a blow job.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have yet to meet even one conservative hippie. ;)

16. tristan macrumors 6502a

I have nothing against privatization, but the problem is that privatization doesn't solve Social Security's solvency problem at all. The baby boomers still need all their benefits, and they need someone (like me) to cut a check each month to pay for them. Am I going to pay their benefits, and get privatized, so I have to pay my own benefits too? No way - I'll skip out of this country, take my savings with me, and let you suckers who stay pay the boomer's benefits and the national debt too.

17. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The way social security was intended was to act essentially like a savings account only it isn't optional and you couldn't access it until a certain age. The problem with social security has risen out of two things:

1: The money you pay in now goes to people currently collecting. Money does not collect interest and futhermore, population size varies by generation, therefore is vulnerable to population size variation.

2: Social Security is used to pay for those on disability, even if the disabled individual has never paid in. A special fund should pay for those unable to work. Likewise, the ailments that qualify for disability should be carefully reconsidered.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Considering my tax rebate will be coming at the expense of some other government program that probably really needs it, way more than I do, I can't give you that one. Those who are getting back money they don't need (discounting those who do need it, but would be getting it anyway without Bush's plan) are more than likely getting screwed in some other way, whether they realize it or not. The rest I will give you, but that's still not a good reason, as most people are being hurt by their selfishness.

Anyone else got anything? Seriously! 1 reason!

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I meant the "everyone who hates Bush is a liberal hippie" part. ;)

20. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You can always not cash your check...

I'll give you two...

1) Roberts
    2) Alito

I can give more if you want, but I don't think it'll make a whole lot of difference.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'll be buying some more stuff for my Mom's underfunded school, but I probably would have done that anyway, so I'll more than likely donate the rest. Kinda makes me feel dirty. When I worked for a charity, I got a lot of those, so that's one good thing.

Care to elaborate on that? I mean, I actually kinda agreed with Alito's last judgment, so I'm surprised you went with him. And so far, what has Roberts done that was so great?

Humor me. Just be more specific.

22. tristan macrumors 6502a

Take the tax cut, put it in the bank, and earn some interest. Eventually the US will have to raise revenues to deal with the deficit, and then you'll have the cash to deal with the tax hike.

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I never said they were good reasons. Pretty much all of the reasons are based on selfishness and are screwing someone else in some way but you asked for reasons why someone would like Bush. The reasons I gave are reasons why someone in particular would like Bush, however they generally focus on those who already have a lot of money and are pretty selfish reasons.

Why John Q. Public would like Bush I have no clue. I'd ask my wife but the resulting exchange would most likely end up with an argument that I just do not feel like dealing with, I might try if we were in a swing state but Texas has a long way to go.

I actually think there are a lot of people who still support him out of an indifference to politics. People who were mad at Clinton for the sex scandal but can't be bothered to pay attention to scandals that don't involve sex or violence and don't want to listen to and/or take the time to understand the more complex political scandals.

24. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Tax cut? For the fifth straight year, I actually OWE taxes back, and the infuriating part is that it mostly has to do with capital gains and dividends I made on some mutual funds.

Problem is I'm a poor graduate student, so I don't get the "rich people" capital gains cut. And it still pisses me off that my stipend, which comes from the National Institute of Health (i.e. TAX MONEY) gets taxed as income. Didn't use to, but good ol' Reagan saw fit to change that one.

</rant>