Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How well does Genius Perform with your Library?

• Spot On :D

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Okay :)

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • So-so :l

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Crappy :(

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Its been a while since genius was announced, and now im wondering if it has improved or not, so answer the poll and tell me if your Genius playlists were spot on, okay, so-so, or crappy. I just re-started genius and i can say that it has worked well (i started it on the first day, but it really sucked back then)...
But now, i am changing my opinion, and it seems that :apple: and Jobs were right, and that it would get smarter :)

i am now going to use this more than Pandora. i really want to know if everyone else feels the same way :D

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
It is crap, I get songs either unrelated to the song I chose or I get songs that I already have from the same artist (for buying).

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
The novelty wore after after about 2 weeks, I have just tried it now and it says Genius is unavailable for this song.

I am not a fan of the whole genius thing

Genius just for you is very poor in the iTunes store and the genius side panel is no good on the right hand side of a MacBook screen, takes up to much space, lets have an option for it at the bottom so we can choose and also stop asking me to buy songs i already own.

Overall I give Genius 2/10, good idea but doesn't work very well (for me anyway)

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
most of the time i keep the sidebar closed. the only annoying thing is that it works with music encoded in iTunes only (or bought from the iTunes store)

but as long as those two things work out, i havent had any problems with it.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I have to say that it is just okay. Sometimes it is spot on and other times it seems to pull something out of left field. It is still not too bad though.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
So-So, about 50% of the time it won't work on my collection on my 120gb classic.

i see what you mean. My taste in music is quite different, and i am starting to realize that it is not able to find matches for all of my songs ... this is quite disappointing. I was really hoping for a good way to find more music easily.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
i like it quite a bit. I have about 30 gb's of music, and it helps me rediscover some of my music, and creates playlists for me. when I listen to Elvis Costello - "Radio, Radio", and get in the mood for similar stuff, it does a pretty good job of finding that stuff for me.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I find it to be completely useless. It doesnt make any kind of rational choices when making my playlists. It put Fleet Foxes and Def Leppard on the same playlist.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
i like it quite a bit. I have about 30 gb's of music, and it helps me rediscover some of my music, and creates playlists for me. when I listen to Elvis Costello - "Radio, Radio", and get in the mood for similar stuff, it does a pretty good job of finding that stuff for me.

30 GB! :eek: Nice! lol. :cool:

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
compared to many people on this forum, 30GB is a drop in the bucket. of course, many of them encode their music at a pretty high rate. mine is all 128kbps AAC, right up until all the music in the itunes store went to 256 and default CD rips went to 256 as well.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
It's a feature I like and use quite alot. More than I could say about the Mini-store :rolleyes:

For one, I don't use the sidebar. I simply find a track and make playlists.

Sometimes I never know what to listen to, so will just go with a random track and do a list off that. End up listening to some weird selections, but it's nice to have something different. Then of course there's the good playlists for favourite songs and the like

Thats me anyway

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Me personally... hate it. Gave it a chance, didn't like it, turned it back on after a few months and gave it a second chance, hated it again, turned it off for good.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I can see where someone may not like it, but how can you hate it? lol

As someone who listens predominantly to European underground stuff I really do hate it as it's never even only once given me anything truly similar to what I listen to. (Or if you prefer this; really, really, really don't like it):eek: I'm better off checking the similar bands list on last.fm.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I can see where someone may not like it, but how can you hate it? lol

I can put my whole library on Shuffle and get more coherent playlists than Genius, so i hate it because they spent their time working on this piece of junk instead of making iTunes better and faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.