it's been an emotional week...

Discussion in 'Community' started by evoluzione, Apr 20, 2003.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ...with Michael Schumacher racing (and winning) in the San Marino Formula 1 Grand Prix after his Mother died during the night. Full of sympathy for the guy, never been a big fan of his, but you have to respect and feel for the man.

Last Tuesday was the 14th Anniversary of the Hillsborough Tragedy where 96 Liverpool FC fans died in a crush before the Liverpool v Nottingham Forest FA Cup Semi-Finals in 1989. Always breaks me down when I think of it :( Does tend to put everything into perspective somewhat.

You'll Never Walk Alone

2. iGav macrumors G3

Re: it's been an emotional week...

What Schumi and Ralf did today was truly amazing given the circumstances in their lives at the moment!

I remember watching the Liverpool game at Hillsborough live on the tv.... :(

It was so scary just watching it.... I can't even imagine how terrifying it would have been actually being there.... :(

Respect and thoughts for everyone directly involved with the above....

3. guitargeek macrumors regular

I've been a huge Schumacher fan for years now, and I was very surprised to see that he and his brother still drove. That's gotta be tough. I mean, it's hard enough to keep steady doing 200 MPH, nevermind a few hours after your mother passed away....

4. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

i think i would have done the same, driving was my "release" so to speak, a way of relieving my stress. it probably helped the guys in a way, gave them some time to themselves by doing what they love. and what a dedication eh? a top performance by both.

and as for Liverpool, what a fine result against Everton yesterday. for those of you that don't know, Liverpool and Everton are two of the biggest rivalries in any sport, anywhere in the world. it's like the Yankees v Mets tenfold. The two teams are literally a couple of hundred yards apart and have been around competing against each other for over a hundred years. So, to come out of that game, the first after the Hillsborough Anniversary, with a cracking win, was amazing. The rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone" was tearjerkingly poignant even through the internet stream...

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I agree totally in all respects, my father died last week, and I really have not been able to get anything done bar support mum and try to sort out his business affairs.

High spot was the Pool game, I saw Hillsborough on the box, Ill never forget it.

Good results from Chelsea and Newcastle too, now if Everton stuff Chelsea on Monday and The Reds can take Charlton then it will get interesting.

Ive got tickets to the Pool/Chelsea game, last day of the season, that could get interesting...

Cmon you Reds...

6. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

you jammy goit ;) , should be a blinder of a game that one, possibly winner takes all, but i think i'm rootin' for a draw in the chelsea/everton game. i think i can get that on telly here. but with another strong finish to the year it looks promising, we could even pip the toons for 3rd!

sorry to hear about your father mate :( chin up eh.

7. iGav macrumors G3

Sorry to hear that bud.... :(

I know how devastating it is to lose someone so close, I lost my dad when I was 16, completely out of the blue at home due to a heart attack..... :( :( :(

Respect, regards and thoughts to you and your family...

Gavin

8. iGav macrumors G3

Snap... since 96 when he joined Ferrari.... (I'm a Ferrari fan first and formost you see ;) ) Been following F1 for years and years and years...

When I heard the news about the Schumachers mother just before the race, I had that sense of dread that I experienced after Roland Ratzenberger was killed at Imola in 1994.... and how it affected Ayrton Senna for that weekend.... :(

I didn't expect either Schumacher to race considering the circumstances... but I wasn't surprised so to speak when I saw them both line up at the front....

I got goose bumps when Ralf pitted and Michael just nailed it and demolished the field.... He was on a mission today...

9. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

exactly, that's why i wasn't surprised he raced. i expect he was even more focussed and determined today than usual, if that is indeed possible.

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Thanks for the comments gents, its been a tough week, easter and all...

Schumacher was at his best, no doubt.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My sympathy to you and your family. I'm sure that you are a great comfort to your mum. I pray that you will find comfort in this time of loss. I lost my father 28 years ago this month, still miss him.