It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Applespider, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    ...or perhaps that's just because I've just started making the family Christmas cake ;)

I have 2.5kg (5.5lbs) of dried fruit soaking up Amaretto ready for baking on Saturday...

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Why so soon?! I love that song by the way... "It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas..." I'm so excited, I do like the holidays. :eek:

3. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

There should be a "two holiday law". No holiday can even be metioned if there are still 2 holidays in front of it.

4. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

You leave it somewhere for like 2 months, to make it taste better, I think. :)

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Isn't it "It's beginning to LOOK a lot like Christmas"? :p

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:eek: Oh bother... I feel silly. That's the one. :p

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I don't feel it ... it's raining cats and dogs here. It feels like wet, cold and dark autumn to me. :)

8. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Unless I've missed it, we don't really have any "holidays" in the UK until christmas ;)

10. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

That's exactly why I'm making it this weekend! Gives me two months to wrap it up in foil and 'water' it with Amaretto every week so that it will be lovely, rich, moist and slightly alcoholic when it's sliced on Christmas night.

And yeah, we have no holidays in the UK left so it's allowed ;) Having said that, if it wasn't more having to make the cake, I'd not be thinking about Christmas at all! :rolleyes:

11. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

... and leave the fruitcake jokes out of it... a properly ... aged(?) fruitcake is a wonderful thing ;)

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

In the west we have halloween and thanksgiving before christmas. That goes for USA.

In Canada we only have halloween, since thanksgiving had passed some weeks ago. :)

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ahh well, no one really cares about halloween here, and thanks giving is non-existent :eek:

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, Thanksgiving is the holiday that was started by this nation's first permanent settlers... a bunch of people who were so uptight that the English said "Get the hell out." ;)

15. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

Actually, I have Thanksgiving afternoon off work and a table booked for Thanksgiving dinner at my favourite American-owned restaurant in London so I can watch the football and eat some turkey...

I like celebrating other countries' holidays; Canada Day at the Maple Leaf pub is always a good one too, not to mention St Patricks Day, Burns Night et al

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Thanksgiving Day football games:

Atlanta at Detroit: I think Atlanta will probably win this one, but it would make me ecstatic if Detroit manages a victory. (We Panther fans HATE the Atlanta Vicks... er, Falcons.)

Denver at Dallas: Two tough teams right now... I'd say Denver is the better team, but they'll be playing in Dallas. I give the edge to the Cowboys.

17. mac-er macrumors 65816

I was watching A&E channel the other night, and they had their station identification had a lot of doves and said "Season's Greetings from A&E" :eek:

18. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

That might depend on whether they've dumped Joey by then! Eeesh... and you were lucky on Sunday. I didn't think that hit on Delhomme deserved the roughing the passer; he was still running and Kennedy didn't lead with his helmet. Take those 15 yards away and the last drive wouldn't have happened... Mooch v Mora; two coaches who know each other very well so it should be interesting.

19. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Agree with clayj on the Atlanta/Detroit one (though not necessarily for the same reason) and Denver are my picks... Denver's always been my favorite team!

Still trying to figure out what to take to the potluck Thanksgiving dinner with 50 of my closest relatives... ;)

20. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

How about we make it a 30 day rule then. More than 30 days to go, no talking about it...lol.

21. mac-er macrumors 65816

Of course, the departments stores and home improvement stores already have all their holiday decor items out.

Nothing like seeing Halloween costumes/candy right next to holiday lights at Target.

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I love halloween, I have my 8' Inflatable Frankenstein in the front yard right now! :D

23. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Sounds about right, in Canada we usually start the pre-celebrations and promos around late october and into november. The beginning of december is way to hectic as is.

That said only 55 days as of today till my christmas vacation begins. :D

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

At target they already got rid of this years Halloween and Christmas stuff, alread went through Summer, and now they are bringing in next year's Halloween items. :p
    No, really, it is ridiculus. I was just at Target, they really do have Christmas lights right next to Halloween.
    I remember last year we were trying to buy patio furniture (It was right before the 4th of July, and Target had already gotten rid of it all :eek:

25. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I have never understood as to why the stores even bother with halloween, since its only a one day occasion. It's mainly for the children, and you see an excess of everything for this one night. :rolleyes:

Christmas is another story. :)