It's BLUE!!! (aka: I'm gonna be a dad)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jdechko, Jun 5, 2006.

1. jdechko macrumors 68040

:D :D :D :D :D Ok, so the test actually wasn't blue, but it did show up as positive. I have to tell you all, though, I am so excited. I just thought I'd share it with you guys... my online friends.

It's our first, and I have a really strong feeling that it's gonna be a boy (been praying for it to be a boy). We have our first appointment tomorrow AM to find out about how far along my wife is.

I've got a lot of advice from friends in the past couple of days, but any other friendly advice. (Other than how to deal with my wife :p . I was up at 4 am making her scrambled eggs and cheese 'cause she was starving.).

2. iGary Guest

iGary

No wonder we haven't seen much of you. You've been....."busy." :D

Congrats. ;)

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Congratulations! I hope you're not actually going to be disappointed if it's a girl.

4. jive macrumors 6502a

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just wanted to pass along my congrats as well. Whether it is a boy or girl, just pray for it to be healthy - that's all that really matters in the grand scheme of things. :)

6. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

I've been around... mostly in the game forums (I'm all about the Wii, and there isn't much going on in the way of Mac-related rumors right now.

No, but from what I've heard, many of my wife's cravings seem to mimic pregnancies which end up being boys. About 3 or 4 of her friends have said this to her. Not sure how true it is, but we will see.

And it's actually kinda weird, but a few weeks back, I had a dream about having a son; and it wasn't the first time I'd had such a dream. I don't know if anyone else has experienced something like that, but it's kinda surreal.

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Congratulations! I hope you get the boy you're wanting. :D

My dad was a bit surprised when the oldest came out and the doctor said it was a girl. I think his reply was "It's a girl?!" and the doctor then asked him if he wanted the baby put back in. Hehehe!

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I fear that most of those tales are a bit like repairing permissions, but you never know. Repairing permissions does work once in a while. Good luck, though, I also hope you get the boy you want. :)

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Congrats!

My advice:

Buy one large balloon and one 60-minute wind-up kitchen timer.

Fill the balloon with water. Duct tape the timer to it. Twist the timer to some random time (5 minutes, an hour, 47 minutes, whatever), let it go off for at least a minute each time, then retwist. Carry this contraption with you 24/7 for a week. Do not let the balloon break, do not forget to rewind the timer, do not leave the contraption more than a few feet from you or your wife.

You will then have some tiny taste of what the first few months will be like after the baby is born - and that doesn't even include diaper changing, feeding, etc.

After doing this for a week, put the contraption away and pay attention to all that advice you'll get telling you to sleep, travel, see movies, etc. - because you won't be able to do that again for a long, long time.

10. iGav macrumors G3

I had one of those last week... actually I've had a couple over the last few weeks, though I call them 'nightmares'. ;)

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Doesn't mean a thing. By all rights, we should have had boys. 1. My side of the family were all boys, back about three generations. 2. My wife works with several Chinese women, all of whom said her shape meant she was having a boy. 3. My wife had bad morning sickness, and midday sickness, and afternoon sickness, and evening sickness, right up to her sixth month (no second trimester relieve for her).

We have two girls.

My wife and I both dreamt our second child would be a girl ... on the same night ... and that she would be born while the oldest was two. That bit also came true.

Last week, we both dreamt, the same night, that she was pregnant again ... but she's not, and she's not going to be if she has anything to do with it (and she has).

Congratulations though - I don't regret having girls, and find it hard to imagine having boys.

12. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Great news for you! Congratulations. Children have a way of changing your life for the better. You'll learn and see things in a way you never would have before.

Savor ever minute.

Take lots of pictures and videos.

And when he/she gets a little bit older and you come home tired from work and just want to veg out out the couch and he/she wants to go outside and play, muster up the energy to do it. I'm amazed at how some of my greatest times spent with my children was when I really didnt feel like doing anything at first, but did anyway and ended up having the greatest time ever.

Kiss him/her every day. and tell him you love him.

Congrats again.:)

13. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, we have something similar to that contraption. It's called a puppy. :D We have to feed her 3 times a day, make sure she gets enough attention and exercise. We're waking up with her at 3 am (we did just last night, then I got up at 4 to cook for my wife). And we have to clean up the poop and pee when she messes. :D (I know a baby is a bit more complicated, though.)

14. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Congrats on the news!!

Kids will indeed change your lives in every way that you thought it wouldn't or couldn't. You'll be amazed at some of the things they will say and do also, it's hilarious. Take good pictures, lots of videos, have great times, and savor them all when your grandparents!!!!

Z

15. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Advantage of a baby: you can put a diaper on it.
    Disadvantage of a baby: you don't have to pay for college for a puppy.

16. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

The dream makes me kind of think maybe it's a boy.... b/c it could just be your subconcious hopes. They thought I was a boy. Like, everyone did. I think the doctors did for a while, and my mom for some reason talked to a psychic who was right on everything about me be she said I'd be a boy. :eek:
    Girls can be great too... :p! It it's healthy, you should be happy, and....
    Congratulations!
    Welcome to the supposedly crazy world of parenthood!
    Make sure to raise your child around all the love, compassion, and caring you want the kid to spread...... :)

17. Lau Guest

Me too! In the last week. Weird. I always wake up going "****! I've got a baby!" and then realise it's all ok...:p

Congratulations, jdechko!

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

And: it's frowned upon to leave babies in cages when you leave the house.

19. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

Congratulations on the baby and I wouldn't worry about whether it's a boy or a girl but rather that it will be all healthy:) Anyway, cherish the last few months of peace and quiet :p And get ready for a lot of unslept nights as well as a lot of diaper changing. But it's all worth it, especially when the kid will first smile back at you.

Also, take a lot of pictures and videos as my parents didn't do that for me when I was a kid and I am pissed about it:p

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Congratulations indeed, jdechko! Start saving up all your money now. :p ;)

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Congtratulations! I'm in the same boat as you, expecting my first kid in November. We had to wait until week 16 to find out the sex from the doctor.

I'm sure you're feeling nervous and inadequate as a responsible authority figure if you're anything like me.

All the best to you and your wife.

Oh yeah, and my wife's been all over this site since this is our first and neither of us know what to expect.

22. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Congrats! Fatherhood is a wonderful thing. Cherish all your free time now....

23. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for that link. I'll have to check it out in depth more later. We found out last thursday night, and on friday, my wife went out to buy a book just to kinda help her out since we don't know what to expect. She's been reading it non-stop, telling me everything she reads.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm busy in finishing up projects in my workshop now... I know there will be precious little time for me to be running saws and routers and the like after November rolls around. :p

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Congrats!

Yep - that's so true.

When is the due date?

D