It's boring, i know, but i just can't decide....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daveyjokes, Sep 23, 2006.

1. daveyjokes macrumors member

daveyjokes

OK, i know its the iPod and that its not the most amazing thread i could think of, but my trusty old 3g has sadly just passed away. fortunately, a day later the new ipod and nano etc. came out! o joy, ill get one of those. aha-limited cash and lots of choice....here are the circumstances;

1. can afford 30gb ipod
    2. can afford all ipod nanos, but 8gb is not enough for my needs but...
    3. i love the ipod nano and cant afford to get two, so...
    4. what do i go for, ipod, or ipod nano?
    5. screw the shuffle.

1 comment would be nice, 2 would be helpful, cheers for bothering to look!

Tom

:)

2. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

you already answered your own question
    a nano cant fit your collection
    so why even bother thinking about it

:rolleyes:

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It sounds like you're going to need the 30GB iPod then!

Personally I would get the 8gb Nano. My music collection is quite large and I'd rather decide what to put on there than what not to put on there if you see what I mean. I have a 6gb iPod Mini and its more than enough for my needs. I don't usually listen to more than a few albums at any one time anyway.

4. daveyjokes thread starter macrumors member

daveyjokes

lol woops, OK re-question-ipod or ipod nano? ignore the circumstances!

5. daveyjokes thread starter macrumors member

daveyjokes

cheers guys, 2 comments shows that a) im an idiot and b) i think the ipod 30 is for me, sorry for the waste of reading time!:D

6. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Real iPod all the way. So, 30GB.

7. louish macrumors newbie

louish

I have both and Im happier with the Nano, Since the nano is flash memory its MUCH faster. I dont like how slow the video ipods are, and that you can feel the hard drive when its spinning up. Also, now that the ipod nanos are aluminum , they less likly to get scratched. I have 2 ipod videos that ONE day i accidentally left a piece a paper in my pocket with my ipod and it acted like a buffer and completely buffed the ipod, 1 million scratches all over it.

Also, this is just me, but i find that I put videos on the ipod video, and I only end up showing others, Look at this! But i never actually watch them my self, im always at my computer so I dont need to.

just my opinions.

8. auxplage macrumors 6502

I love my 3G and find myself using it more than the 5G at times for some weird reason. I think it is because the interface is quicker and all I ever do is listen to music. I just love the 3G.

I would go for the 5.5G unless you either exercise with your iPod a whole bunch or need 24 hours of battery life.

I could not bring myself to spend $249 on an 8GB Nano when a 5.5G can be had for the same price.

9. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I have both ipods (a 60 and a new nano). But they serve different purposes.

Based on what you posted get the 30.

Do you want to have your entire collection with you or choose?
    Do you care about hard drive versus flash?
    Do you want color, or will black and white do?

How about using the apple refurb store and getting a refurb 30 and buying a new nano?

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

in my opinion, if you're only going to have one iPod, then make it the full size. you get a bunch more features (video, games, etc), as well as enough space to hold your entire collection.

personally, i think the nanos are a bit of a rip off, considering the price of their full size counterparts. they're for 1) people who have lotsa money and want a complement to their full size for workout or general use, or 2) those that 30gb would be overkill for their library, and who would prefer the small form factor over the extra features.

11. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

In the face of all the opposing views, I'd like to put a vote in for the nano. I have both a 60Gb iPod photo and a 512Mb iPod shuffle, and which one do I use? The shuffle. I dump a couple of podcasts on each morning and keep some of my current favourite songs on all the time, and it works really well.

So, what you have to ask is how you use your iPod. If you must have your entire collection, then the full size is what you want, but the 8Gb nano holds a geat deal, while having the miniscularity of the shuffle.

Think hard about what you'd use more.

David

12. calculus Guest

calculus

Given the current pricing on these this is a great suggestion that would give you the best of both worlds.

13. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I just bought an 80gb iPod. Couldn't be happier!!!!!!! :D :D :D

14. generik macrumors 601

generik

15. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

can't decide? you can afford mostly as you said. so go to 80GB new ipod video. it's great, and you will use it for long time.

16. daveyjokes thread starter macrumors member

daveyjokes

cheers guys!!! i didnt expect this much er... 'interest!" i thought about it, and i think ill either go for a refurb 30gb, and a 1/2 gb shuffle-the 30gb refurb should do it, cause if i get a new one, after a few months, it will look just as bad as the refurb, or good depedning on how you look at it...80gb is overkill i think, and if i was going to get a new ipod, i would probably wait for the debated full video ipod, if one exists...then again knowing apple, i would never buy a 1st generation-i got an imac g5, 1st generation, and the processor sounds like a bee on red bull, and 2 weeks after my purchase, a lovely spanking 2nd generation comes out-quiter, ambient light sensor, 512 mb RAM, and most of all about £200-£300 cheaper! anyways, thanks again, and if youve read this far, get a medal.

Tom

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The 80 GB iPod still only fits half of my collection... sigh.

Granted, I only listen to a fraction of it on a regular basis, so I have a 30 GB :)

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Do you really need to carry your entire collection around with you? The 8GB model is more than enough for days worth of music. Just create a couple of cool playlists that you can load and reload as you please. The 30 is nice though.

19. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

I'd get a nano. I like the smaller size and who needs all their music with them on the go?

20. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Go for the refreshed U2 5.5G iPod. The red scroll wheel and the all-black finish are definitely worth it.