It's dead, Jim.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, Jan 23, 2003.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    [eulogy]Well, my iBook's backlight finally died. Time of death: 3:30 today. Cause: loose wire or dead light. We tried to revive it, hitting it at various angles, shining a flashlight through the Apple logo, but to no avail. It was gone. It went quietly, all life just wiped off its shining screen, from top-left to bottom-right, its display to be lighted from behind no more.... [/eulogy]

Anyway, away from the poetic part. How do I fix it, and can it be fixed? Do I need to take it in or can I do it at home? I really don't know the exact cause, but I'll bet it was either a pinched wire, or a faulty light bulb; I'm leaning toward the wire theory.

Either way, anyone know how to fix it, preferably without spending $600+ for a new LCD?
  2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Re: It's dead, Jim.

Open her up and look for the connector, not such an *insane* job.

Just look through the guides before taking out all of the guts.
  3. sandro macrumors member

Nov 8, 2002
    San Francisco
    Have you tried looking for a replacement on Ebay? I've seen screen replacements for many different books there and for a lot less than $600, or look for iBooks that have dead motherboards or with other ploblems besides screen problems, you know? as a matter of fact I know of someone who has one of the white iBooks 12" who suffered a HD corruption and other problems, so now they bought a new ibook and have a useless ibook with a perfect screen collecting dust.