It's Game Over for iPhone, If iOS 7...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by whocaresit, Apr 29, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

What ever they do with the flatness in design in iOS 7.. it wouldn't matter, EXCEPT it's Game Over if they decide to remove the ICON / DOCK GLOSS on homescreen. It's what gives a distinctive premium feeling to iPhone over rest of the phones.

The only reason millions choose iPhones over Windows Phones and other phones is because it looks nice and premium when they first look at the homescreen. The rich icon gloss and dock gloss effects are really inviting the user to interact with the device. I love swiping through home screens multiple times a day.. icons are so nice to look and it just that great looking..

What ever they decide to do with iOS 7.. if they ever decide to let go of the ICON GLOSS on homescreen.. iPhone will become the next Windows Phone.. a third tier phone.

2. macrumors regular

Gloss or no gloss - its not what I'm or a lot of other iOS users are looking for!

3. macrumors 68000

I don't care what they do to the icons if they don't improve the functionality to catch up with Android.

4. macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Most people just get an iPhone because everyone has one not because of its features.

5. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Sure, I will start using android as soon as iOS get a UI that I'm not entirely pleased with. /sarcasm

6. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Ah, the urban legend. It still lives. I know it is difficult to believe this but iOS has the BIGGEST library of games, apps, movies, and music available for it. It is easy to use, and looks cool.

Yeah, people buy it because their friends have one. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 601

Dont spin it. YOU LIKE IT.

Maybe setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Jonny Ive, the new boss, is known to not agree with Jobs' UI look design and has quoted saying he likes Windows' Metro. :eek:

8. macrumors 68000

lulla01

They are going to wait until iOS 10 to add any cool functionality features

9. macrumors 6502

mattdo93

iOS X :cool:

10. macrumors 6502a

tekboi

If anything removing that dated glass look will help the platform. It's Game Over if apple keeps recycling that same old UI design.

11. macrumors 6502

Yeah, people choose iOS over WP8 because of gloss. That makes total sense :rolleyes:

Or maybe it's because Apple had a 3 year head start on market penetration compared to WP7/WP8

12. Guest

Good thing Apple isn't listening to you.

13. macrumors 6502a

I'm an avid Linux user, but even I think iOS is an excellent operating system. It's designed to work without much, if any errors. I've been using the iPhone for almost 4 years now and never once had a major issue. I can't say the same with android phones though.

14. macrumors G4

Small White Car

I love the assumption being made by the OP that the new look will, obviously, be bad and needs to be hidden.

And in his mind it'll be ok as long as they don't do it in this one critical area.

But hey. Maybe (just maybe) Apple is planning a new look that isn't terrible and won't be a bad thing that has to be hidden in un-important areas of the phone. Maybe...again, I know this is crazy...but maybe they've designed something that they think looks good instead of bad.

Whoah. Wouldn't that be just wild? Hard to believe, I know.

15. macrumors member

It's just change for the sake of change, I say. Which isn't a bad thing in and of itself as long as the core experience is improved instead of dumbed down (I'm looking at YOU, Windows 8). But I don't use Apple Devices based on how pretty the UI is, I use them because they are fun and intuitive to work with.

I can't help but feel the OP is a joke. Ooh, it's not shiny anymore, everyone's gonna migrate to Android and Windows Phones! If Apple releases a budget iPhone as speculation suggests, then it will pull in even more users to the Apple ecosystem. We're already seeing this with the iPad Mini being so cheap.

16. macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

i think iOS design is pretty much meaningless to most of us here. It's the functionality I'm concerned about. i couldn't care less if the UI remains the same, but much more added functionality.

17. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

lolololololololo. Surely you didn't type that with a straight face?

18. macrumors 65816

jafingi

Just make the dock like Mountain Lion. No gloss, and much more sleek look.

19. macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

He's right.

iOS has a beautiful, premium look and feel to it which you don't get on other mobile OS. It's important that Apple stay unique and don't turn themselves into just another company.

It's times like this that you really miss Steve Jobs because he would know exactly what to do right now. I feel like the current Apple staff are just guessing and hoping it works out.

20. macrumors 6502

The look is so less important than function. I really don't care what an ICON looks like I care what the application behind it does and that it functions.

I find it unbelievable how much time and threads are spent on look of screen and icons and Apple is dead, etc. Apple has the best collection of applications, the best method of managing your apps, music, pictures, etc. Look what is happening with Microsoft who went for looks with Windows 8 and not ease of use and required functions.

I know I shouldn't read these threads but Apple isn't so over if most of the people on this board don't agree with any changes. There are actually people who use an iPhone as a phone and not to manage all their life events and also be the nicest looking icons and active screens.

21. macrumors 6502

Most people just adapt to the OS they're confronted with. Unless Apple were to really hose the OS in one giant change, people will keep using iOS. There will always be gripes from one side and praise from the other, but as long as they maintain the right balance of happy/not happy customers, sales will continue. Microsoft is learning the hard lesson about completely revamping something into a worse design and I doubt Apple would follow in their footsteps in that regard.

22. macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I agree that the current iOS gloss & textures are sexy and give it a premium feel to all other mobile OS's.

But I'll bank on what Ive, and his proven track record, puts out for iOS 7 will be great...even if it is flat. I don't give Ive a blank check, as anyone can slip up; but I'll wager that iOS 7 will make the industry jealous once again!

23. macrumors 68000

This thread is hilarious... Everyone complaining about losing Apple's "premium feel" doesn't understand who is now in charge of software design. This guy is renowned for his work in PREMIUM feel in design. You are all going to be praising the new look when you see it.

24. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Just curious, what would Saint Steve do?

----------

What makes gloss and textures premium? I'm sorry but these apps do not have a premium feel to them. They're just plain ugly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. macrumors 65816

jafingi

Actually, the contacts app is one of the worst. One thing is that the apps look damn ugly, the other thing is that they aren't CONSISTENT!

For example, Contacts.app looks like iBooks, but you cannot turn the pages like i iBooks. This inconsistency makes it really difficult to use for novice users. Furthermore, they use the book design in Contacts, but they have "non-book" elements (such as a clickable list, and then suddenly the content on the right page changes).

I'm really looking forward to seeing iOS 7 if there comes UI changes. iOS is beginning to feel old. Not the revolutionary platform it was back then.