it's getting mean in here again...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

people, i don't wanna be the self-appointed gaurdian of politeness but...

i think it's time to take another deep breath. the tone of the posts is going way downhill again. here we finally get desertrat back, and what does he walk into but a mud-slinging fest b/t some regulars and our new poster from the right, slyhunter. all i'm asking for is an end to the personal insults. there are several positive benefits that could accrue from this policy.

the first being to reduce insults. They add nothing to a thread and generally make it an unpleasant read.

insults also stifle debate. how many potential conservative posters may get turned off by the bad-tempered name calling and not bother to post?

the easiest way to deal with posts you don't agree with is to debunk them. if they are off-topic, ignore them. if they are insulting, keeping your own post polite will simply point out how poor the opposing side is arguing. this isn't grade-school, we can do without all the drama.

i just want to keep the debate spirited and the opinions diverse. this is accomplished a lot better by attacking the argument, not the arguer.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Your point is well taken, but what do you propose to do about trolling and spamming? Personally, I'm about ready to use the ignore list, because there is no use in discussion with posters who are about such tactics. I've tried very hard to deal with issues, but the outrageous nature of the posts and the number (229 in three days - at last count, and all in the Political Discussions section) make it hard not to make comments about such posters. I'm all for discussions, even heated ones, if they are backed up by reasoned arguments. I don't appreciate being inundated by drivel.

4. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

I started with one Generalized insult. I thought it was funny nobody else did *shrug*
    Other than that I havn't passed out any personal attacks or insults on anyone other than myself.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I second that emotion. It's all well and good to talk about civility, but that doesn't address the problem of a hyperactive provocateur raising the noise level way above the signal. My personal solution is the ignore list, but obviously not everyone is prepared to use it. Perhaps the moderators will have some other advice for maintaining the decorum of this board in the face of this issue. It's going to be a long year. If we don't figure something out, we'll be looking at the wasteland threat again before we get to November.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Ditto. I encourage everyone else to do the same. As long as no one responds to his nonsense, we can stay on topic and have real debate.

8. toontra macrumors 6502

Spyhunter has been on my ignore list for 2 days now. This is a first for me - even macfan didn't push me that far.

The problem is, however, if people do respond to his/her posts you are almost forced to read chunks of them anyhow, in quote form.

I can't think of an easy answer - perhaps a limit of 20 posts per day? That would stop the blanket spam trolling, but would restrict bona-fide members.

I can only suggest that as many people as possible ignore these posts - at the moment they are achieving their desired effect of dragging the forum down into irrelevant & personal nonsense - we should at least try to deny them that pleasure.

Some input from a mod wouldn't go amiss at this point.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, macfan, sanfelipe and g5man never made mine. i think this is only ignore #3 for me.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if he was a legitimate poster or true libertarian (neither liberal nor conservative...but live and let live) with new points of view (outside of republican vs democrat), then i would be ok with it

but he's no libertarian but more of a spammer and i don't think the mods really care that much as long as he doesn't insult anybody or vice versa...the biggest insults fly between the republicans and democrats here anyway ;)

there is no way to really draw a line between political poster vs spammer/troller/flamewar junkie...so it's prolly going to be about who insults who and how much of that is acceptable or if it crosses the line

the mod here, rower_cpu, seems to be ok with the new poster and i will not put him or anybody on my ignore list...if i don't like it, i just post non political stuff in the community discussions and there is plenty there that is interesting...so for you political section only posters, take a look see into community sections...it's generally good for your health and your blood pressure ;)

and if apple inc really as something down the pike, then i am in the rumors section ;)

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm such a sweetheart of a guy that my conscience is absolutely clear. That comes from living a pure, clean life. Malice toward none and all that. :D

I've never used the "Ignore" thingie. It's easier to just skim or not bother to read some comments from some people. And, after all, even an "Ignore" type occasionally contributes valid points. Heck, blind pigs find acorns from time to time...

This attitude is much easier for me, of course. Some of it's age; some of it's the cancer thing. I wake up in the morning to discover my eyes will open and I'm still breathing, and I gotta figure it's pure profit. :D

Gettin' old ain't for the faint of heart.

Y'all be good,

'Rat

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

I heard that if you stay in the Political Forums for more than a month, the following side effects can occur:
    >Irritability
    >Increased stress
    >Wild mood swings
    >Fatigue
    >Tiredness
    >Stomach ache
    >Migraine
    >Vision impairment
    >Increased hyperactivity
    >Drowsy or red eyes

The political forums are kind of like being around the bottom of the ocean somewhere around the shoreline...you can stay there for a few minutes, but prolonged exposure can be fatal.

I recommend one of the following remedies:
    >Sleep
    >Stepping out
    >A punching bag
    >Tylenol
    >NyQuil (if you're an alcoholic)
    >A sex change
    >Claration D

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

It depends on who is here. In many cases it can be a real education.

15. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I agree with you. I have been away for quite a while now. But, that being said, I think I have had a much better attitude than I did before.

Anyone agree?

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's difficult for me to separate the attitude from the position shifts. but i really really enjoy seeing "i'm questioning what my gov't is doing" over "i'm trusting the gov't", regardless of which party is in power.

17. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I have a proposition: why doesn't someone create a thread where one can go to be called names -- kind of a masochist's thread. In this thread you can quote outrageous news sources, and then sit back and get called all sorts of things.

This thread would be a great place to go if you just need someplace to go to scream at a total stranger. Or conversely, if you need to be abused. This would be a place where people are not separated by politics, but by whether they like to receive or administer pain.

I suggest, however, that everyone have unique names so that no one can keep track of who is abusing who. Anarchy, in other words.

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

numediaman, there's a firearms website that's totally unmoderated, or at least it once was. It seems to be inhabited by those for whom the longest five years of their lives was third grade. The majority of their vocabulary seems to involve variants of the four-letter copulative verb, although quite a few have serious knowledge of firearms.

It's quite easy to start all manner of squabbles and flame wars and sit back and enjoy it--if one is in a truly masochistic mood. Or, maybe, sadistic, depending on one's view.

I disremember the exact name of the website; I visited once, from curiosity and never went back. :)

It's also quite easy to stir up fusses at Democratic Underground, for that matter...

'Rat

19. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    quite frankly, i think everyone was behaving quite well until one poster spammed things up.

i enjoy a debate...but i've found myself responding in harsh ways to the inane posts of recent...so i guess the ignore list is my best option.

and yes...i'm even enjoying the new left wing liberal backtothemac... ;) though i find myself wanting to post ultraconservative responses for some reason...

20. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I agree that there are some people who are intentionally antagonistic, but I think that some people are having trouble acknowledging other peoples views.

Obviously if someone disagrees with you you aren't expected to like their idea, but some people have such strong views on the issues discussed here that they take the opinions too personally. Its natural but I think if people took a few deep breaths before posting it would really really help out.

I know it can be done, DavisBAnimal and I have some very different views on issues but I have always found him to be respectful in his disagreement. I think if we strived to be more respectful even while disagreeing it would help alot.

Then again there are some people who will never do so, I guess the best option is to try and ignore their inflamatory comments. Its just tough sometimes to judge what is intentionally inflamatory and what is just something you disagree with.

21. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

LOL. Actually, I have become way, way more moderate over the last two years, and while sometimes I think you guys are out of your minds. I have to say, you have ALL had an effect on the new softer, lighter, more compationate B2TM. I looked back over some of my posts the last few years, and whew. Man, I was a major ass sometimes. So, to all those I have offended over the years, I am sorry.

If you ever want a great read, go look at the 1st Mac's and Politics thread. Those were the days.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Let's have a hug. :D

I admit, I've been reacting too strongly to Mr Wind-Up, for which I apologize, but, provocative as the vast number of his posts has been, I've actually found myself agreeing with him once. Ignoring doesn't really work, does it? He has posted one or two interesting (if scary) links. If he slowed down a bit and thought a bit longer before posting, it wouldn't be such a tiresome barrage. You know who you are: how about it?

23. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Skunk comes to the table with an offer. Nice.

I agree that sometimes we go off a little. I seem to remember going off on you a time or two ;)

Still, we are all adults, and I personally have gained a lot from the threads over the years.

24. King Cobra macrumors 603

skunk!!!! Nice to hear from you again!

Heh, well, as I see it, these forums used to be way out of control in 2003...you couldn't go into the Wasteland without noticing that half of the threads were politically based. Now, it's back to old-fashioned spam.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yo, KC. Long time no post! :)