Its hard to be a Royals fan

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jsw123, Apr 18, 2006.

1. jsw123 macrumors member

Mar 19, 2006
    I am a royals fan, but it seems the royals are on the verge of their third 100 loss season in three years. sure, the teams made some bad choices, but theres not much you can do when your payroll is about what the yankees pay their left infield. what do you think? should there be revenue sharing and a salary cap in baseball?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    They need to give George Brett a bat and helmet and send him back out there...
  3. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I though this thread was going to be about the Royal family of which I am not a fan.. :eek: :D

Though I don't know anything about baseball, all sports should have a salary cap if you ask me. It stops players getting ridiculous amounts of money.
  4. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    hey at least you guys won a world series

think about us sf giants fans...close to getting into or winning the world series a half a dozen times but never succeeding, having more hall of famers than any team in baseball, having greats like the two willies and barry bonds but never seeing them get a san francisco world series ring, and trying to live up to a five ring giants that tore it up in the old days while in new york

it's almost as if the sf giants have a curse on them

all around the bay over those sf giants years, bay area teams like the warriors, the As, 49ers, and raiders all win the big one in their sport yet the central sports team of the bay area is the giants judging from the clothing and bumper stickers and barry bonds madness

if atlanta didn't win a world series through their great (unparalleled) pitching years in the 80s and 90s, i would consider them as cursed as the sf giants...but atlanta did win one that i know of

the giants have had great sluggers, catchers, coaches, fielders, and pitchers, sometimes all at the same time but every time they get cursed
  5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Yeah. The Royals are really, historically bad. And the future doesn't look very bright.

A guy blogs about it here .

Some fans remain optimistic. Someone posted on that site after the Royals 9-0 loss to Chicago "Don't overlook Gobble's scoreless inning."

Glad to be a Red Sox fan ...
  6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    with all due respect, the indians payroll is only 9 Million more, and Milwaukee is about 10 mill more, and while that is about 20% increase over KC, its shows that it can be done.

And also, I thought I read an article somewhere about how the Royals made a ton of money after revenue sharing last year. Perhaps its more an issue of a stingy owner and poor management.

But then again being a Yankees fan what do I know about stingy owners and mismanagement
  7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Who's worse?

The Detroit Tigers or the Royals?

Two teams I forget even exist....
  8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    The Royals have several things against them right now.

#1. Several of their players and pitchers are injured and on the disabled list, and that list seems to keep growing.
    #2. The Royals offense, for whatever reason, just can't seem to get going and produce runs. Perhaps the hitting coach should work with the players some more.
    #3. As if the White Sox weren't bad enough, the Indians come to town next. Remember how the Indians beat up the Royals last year? I wouldn't be surprised if the Royals have trouble with the Indians again this year, especially if you consider how well the Indians are doing.

#1 and #2 are fixable but will take time. As for #3, I guess the Royals will just have to grin and bear it for now, until they can get their other issues corrected.
  9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    I wouldn't agree – I think it's a great time to be a Royals fan. After all, the team has just been promoted to the top-flight for the first time in its history... :p ;)
  10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002

Heard that. I live in Illinois now, despise the Cubs, respect the Sox, but will always be a Orioles fan. It's not "hard" to be a fan, just depressing sometimes. I still have my history with them... Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Frank Robinson, even Boog Powell and Mark Belanger, later Mussina and of course Ripken... four 20 game winners, plenty of series...
    Ah, to see it all happen again.
    They ARE tight with Boston so far, and Tajeda stayed.
  11. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't think revenue sharing works. Look at the Marlins. They're getting somewhere around 50Mil per year in revenue sharing income, and spending 15M on player salaries. There's just too many owners out there who would rather make more money than win games.

A salary cap wouldn't be terrible. It's somewhat ridiculous now that the highest paid team in baseball (the Yankees) is 70 million ahead of the closest team (Boston). And that apparently doesn't even buy you a good pitching staff.

The advantage the big market teams have over the smaller market teams is that there's a greater room for error. They can take on salary in trades if they need to fill a position. However, there's no replacement for good scouting and drafting, and a lot of these teams that aren't competing aren't doing this well either. A salary cap and revenue sharing isn't going to fix everything.
  12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    I think that's very well said, mwpeters8182 -- especially about how money essentially allows room for error.

What baseball really needs is a salary floor. Here are the team payrolls for 2006 -- you have to wonder if a salary floor of 65 million is "unreasonable."

How is the Royals farm system? Are they building, as the Indians and Braves did after all those terrible years?

Hard to believe the Royals have increased payroll by 67% over last year ...
  13. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A quick search gives me the 2006 organizational rankings (from Baseball America), which puts the Royals at 23rd. Not very good, especially considering they were ranked 14th in 2001. They're pitching starved, and that's the problem. However, this can change quickly - the Red Sox farm system moved from 21st to 8th over the course of a year.

While the Marlins aren't spending any money, they have one of the top farm systems in baseball. Still, the major league roster is made up of guys who need more time in the minors. It'll be interesting to see what happens down the road when it's time for those guys to make more than the league minimum.
  14. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    I think there needs to be a salary cap put into place because with out it teams can buy wins. I have very little respect when Yankees win for example because they buy their wins. I glad when ever the Yankees lose for example because that means the buys it wins loses.

It would make the sport a bit more even. It will remove this dynesty that always win. It go back to a better coaching staff and team building. Not the team with the most money gets the wins. NFL system works pretty well. If you noticed that Super Bowl wins and who goes to the super bowl for example is moved around or even play off for example. Now lets look at base ball the same teams general go to the play off every year and quite off the same teams go to the world seirse and wins. It the same year in and year out. You can tell pretty quickly who is buying their wins.
  15. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't think this is really true. The White Sox won without one of the higher payrolls in baseball, and the Twins and A's compete every year. In baseball, much more so than football, player development is important, so you'll see a team with a great fams system compete over time. If they keep their young players, they'll trade them for top-teir players (see the Hanley Ramirez for Josh Beckett trade this year). Yes, more money equals the chance to get these players, but if the other owners can't get fans in the seats, that shouldn't be the other teams problems. What Jeffrey Loria is doing in Miami is far worse than what the Yankees are, and that's saying a lot coming from a Red Sox fan.
  16. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    How the hell do the Marlins ever win if everyone buys wins?

They won a world series with a low payroll. The twins always rock.
  17. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    Never said that they dont. But look at the ones who have the most wins. Look at who goes to the play off every year. A lot of the same teams keep popping up year after year. You start to noticed a pattern. Now compare that same list to payroles and you will noticed that the teams with the higher pay roles go to play off more offen that those of lower pay roles. Get farther in the pay off each year.

Just look over the 10-15 years and you start to notic some things. Look at payroles compared to how teams do.
  18. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Mar 14, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'd like to see a salary cap. In my opinion, it worked wonders for the NHL this year, and forced teams to be smart about their money. Lazy players who earned buku bucks got less this year, and on top of that, tried harder.

I'd like to see what the yankees would do with the same cap as the dodgers ;)
  19. me_94501 macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2003
    From an outsider's perspective (A's fan), it seems like the Royals are always in rebuilding mode.

jsw123, you guys need a Billy Beane-like general manager.
  20. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
  21. jsw123 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 19, 2006
    further backing on the neccesity of salary cap

though some are good, one thing has to be looked at, and thats that all of the low revenue teams eventually lose their best players. the royals are a great example

had they retained players, the royals would look like this...

1B- Mike Sweeney (meh)
    2B- Mark Grudzielanek (solid)
    SS- Rey Sanchez (defensive great)
    3B- Joe Randa (one of the best all around guys in the league)
    LF- Carlos Beltran (best player on team)
    CF- Johnny Damon (yep, johnny damon)
    RF Jermaine Dye (2005 world series mvp)
    not to mention paul byrd and jeff suppan on the pitching staff

ps- thanks for the idea thedude110, a book is certainly worth looking into.