Its Here

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cast128, Aug 29, 2003.

1. cast128 macrumors member

Well I just got my 1.8 ghz G5 today in the mail from apple and I love it! It is so elegant and really looks a lot better in person. I snaped some pics of the box and stuff for you guys. http://homepage.mac.com/leakecaleb/PhotoAlbum1.html If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

congrats, man. anything you noticed that hasn't been mentioned anywhere (that you've seen)?

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

For us fellow Mac enthusiasts and your own curiosity, you should do the following.

Download Xbench 1.1 and benchmark it. You can upload your results to the Xbench site, I do believe...And the more on there, a better idea of the average performance we can get.

Also, PS7 Bench

And you'd be awesome if you could get us UT, Quake 3, or UTk3 fps info.

I'm considering buying UTk3, opening the package in CompUSA, installing it there, and doing the benchmark...But that would be harder than you doing it, right? ;)

Now if you're really good, Xbench 1.1 is open source, so if my understanding is right, you could possibly recompile it with IBM's new beta compilers optimized for the G5. But I'm really not knowledgeable about this stuff...I really should learn a "real" programming language sometime...

Anyway, congrats & best wishes on the new G5. Enjoy it! Benchmark it! Love it!

4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i can't believe you took pictures of it while you were opening it! I would be too darn excited to think about anything else in the world!

...thats why macs are so great - escapism!

5. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

What mac did you have before. How is the speed? Does it run the OS really snappy?

6. cast128 thread starter macrumors member

I had a 12 inch power book before this and this seems soooo much faster. It opens programs faster and runs final cut A LOT faster! Overall this is what I expected

7. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Do you have an apple display? If you do and you keep your powermac on your desk. Could you snap a pic? I just want to see how they go together. Enjoy it man, mine is suppose to ship on the 9th!!