It's Hurricane Season Again

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveway, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

So the time of year has come once more. It's hurricane season 2005. It has been very active year so far, in fact the most active season on record!

Right now, tropical Storm Cindy is crossing over me now. After Cindy, Dennis a much stronger storm is right behind. Denis looks like he will be a serious problem.
    I have a flight that's supposed to leave the morning it's expected to make landfall. :(

Here are some graphics.
    [​IMG] I am located where the marker is on the radar. To my east is New Orleans.

Attached Files:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Just go down to Central Grocery and get a Muffaletta.

You'll feel all better.

3. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

ugh...I hate muffalettas. :) You can't get down in the quarter right now anyway. :rolleyes:

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

So, how many hurricanes have you ridden out, over the years? I've been in two tornados (both literally jumped over the house(s) I was in), but never a hurricane, except for "Hurricane Elvis" a freaky microburst that produced straight-line winds of over 70 mph in Memphis a couple/three summers ago. :eek:
    X

5. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've been through 3 hurricanes and about 5 tropical storms. I dodged the big ones while on vacation. ;)

For me I like the suspense of having one coming, but obviously not the drastic destruction. I get to use my camera and such for little projects on the weather.

I'm sure many of you know new Orleans is FAR below sea level. This picture really shows how low it is. New Orleans is basically sandwiched between two walls of water.
    [​IMG]

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

OK, who is the one organizing the, guess the flattened city, bets?

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Yea, I know that Hurricane Season is around the corner. Luckily for me, we live far enough inland that we don't get too much of the "bad" parts of hurricane, ie the wind and storm surge. We normally just get lots and lots of rain, which some of the crops could use right now...

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I have a friend who "rode out" Camille back in 196_? He said it scared the beeJezuz into him :D

9. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I wouldn't be around for another 20 years. :p

Camille was one of the worst my area has gone through. It knocked down what was our local church and put thousands of people out on the streets homeless.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Interesting graphic. How high are the two floodwalls (A) (B)?
    X

11. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I can remember them being roughly 20-25ft. tall. (I hear a huge rush of wind outside).

:goes investigate:

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hopefully, it's Orlando. :D

The tropical updates are frequent these days on the news. If it finally dries out some here, we might actually get a hurricane. The season is supposed to be worse than last year for Floriduh.

Good luck to everyone anywhere susceptible to hurricanes.

13. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

The Weather Channel would love that. They love to say a hurricane is going to a highly populated area. It helps with the ratings. ;)

Ye Old local news station is better

Attached Files:

14. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

That sucks man. It's totally missing where I live, thank God. But yesterday it was supposed to come right over us, but it curved at the last minute. We aren't going to see any rain either. :(

Oh well. Just remember. A little rain never hurt anybody. But a lot can kill you. Seriously, be safe. I know it's not as bad as a full blown hurricane, but the way things are going, one's gonna hit by the end of the summer. I can feel it. Let's just hope it isn't as bad as Andrew back in '92. That one passed right over me, and it sucked balls.

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

1969 - I was 7 years old and we were on vacation in Clearwater Florida, the bay side on the peninsula. I remember everyone talking about a storm. We packed up and left early, and she followed us home. Literally wiped out the Mississippi Gulf Coast and came through Mississippi through where I live 250 miles north of the coast. Of course, we studied about that one for years in elementary school.

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm in Ohio, so I am usually not affected by tropical storms and hurricanes...with the exception of sometimes getting rain from their remnants. I am a weather person, so I follow the development of these systems closely - I've noticed that this season seems especially active this early on. I wonder if we'll break any records for named storms, if not hurricanes.

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Right, 1969. Anyone who's seen Forrest Gump should remember that :D
    X

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Used to spend lots of time at my Aunts, she lived near St Charles and Charolton?

Afternoon storms were like clockwork.
    I have to fly to houston on Tues morning (5am eastern) and don't look forward to dodging Dennis on the way.
    I lived on Guam for three very active years, Omar was the worst, but my wife dealt with most of them alone, I would have to fly a plane off to safety (week in tokyo with nothing to do! Yum).
    Well I hope we are all spared major damage, good luck with your flight, and drink a Hurricane and grab some Popeye's OnionRings, man I used to eat those all night.

19. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Seeing the news this weekend just made me sick. The only good thing is that some communities were better prepared to deal with the crisis.

I didn't see how the bridge on I-10 in the panhandle did this time. The eastbound span crumbled during Ivan last year. I just traveled across it a couple of weeks ago and the temporary portion was usable but it didn't look as they'd made progress to replace the original span.

21. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Last night the news reported that Hurricane Emily was forming... :(

22. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

23. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Good morning. Well Hurricane Katrina is knocking on my door, the local news stations are freaking, and all the chaos is about to begin in a few hours.
    Evacuations could start today. As for myself, I may not be around here for awhile as my family really doesn't like to play with anything over a Cat 3.

Please pray for everyone in the Gulf South, this really is the worst scenario for New Orleans.

[​IMG]

24. ToddW macrumors 6502a

which way are you headed. I've already talked to some family that I have in big easy they seem to be headed west. good luck!

25. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Good luck Dave :( This one looks like it could be bad. Initially we thought it would cross over Florida further up and exit right over Fort Myers where I live - but these things seem to have a mind of their own, staying over the path of least resistance.