It's illegal to fly a foreign flag here

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here in the town of Pahrump, Nevada, that is.

CNN

All I can say is, thank God the election is over, because you'd probably hear some pseudo-bright Republicans picking up on this and trying to make a campaign "issue" out of it. (They'd be for it, natch, and they'd want to see this done all over the United States.)

Leave it where it is. In the narrow-minded little town of Pahrump (-pum pum pum).

2. seanf macrumors 6502

Everyone sing along: "Land of the free and the home of the brave" ;)

Sean :)

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

These laws are obviously unconstitutional, and will be overturned.

It takes a real jackass to insist on passing unconstitutional laws.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

how xenophobic does one have to be to be offended by a foreign flag?

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Isn't this unconstitutional? Anyway if I was there I would put up a foreign flag just to protest this.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Govt with nothing to do except to pass stupid laws and then be able say I did something vote for me. Looks like this town has to much time on its hands. Though I agree if you want to become a American then become a American but stupid laws like these are just intrusion into people's life. Perhaps the Mexican invasion is becoming to much for these people? A better idea for this town is to go after the federal Govt for ignoring our Border for decades.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Well, the Pahrump Olympic Bid just crashed and burned.

The World Cup is probably out too. :)

9. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Seems the title of this article is misleading and not true. Its not illegal to fly a foreign flag, its just illegal to fly one if an american flag isnt flying above it.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Does it mention what size the US flag should be? You could have a mexican flag at 2' across and have a tiny US flag above it. About 1" across. That way you cant see it at the top of the pole and you are not breaking the law. :D

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

But that headline isn't nearly as attention-grabbing. ;)

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I suppose one way to comply would be to fly a giant mexican flag topped by a 2" US flag. :)

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Seems like showboating to me, as this is already codified in federal law:

Emphasis mine.

15. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Thats a freedom of expression case waiting to happen.
    Whats so wrong with displaying affinity to the nation of your birth (or your philosophy of choice) while resident in the US? Is there a huge national inferiority complex or something?

Edit: Have a look at Stromberg v California, 1931
    A law prohibiting the flying of red flags was a breach of the first amendment. This is a similar issue.

16. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I doubt this law is enforced very much and is most likely a law put in place to be used in special cases.

Example- A group of people claiming to break from america and setting up shop on private property and declaring the land is a new country. Not really illegal to claim this I think (I am most likely wrong:eek: ) but if you happen to raise the flag of your "new Country" they would have sufficiant cause to arrest you.

Similar to the seatbelt law, Police arent likely to pull you over solely for not wearing a seatbelt. But if they pulled you over for another reason or you do something stupid its another fine they can lay on your a$$.

Perhaps you get the gist....

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

"the red flag wavin' never meant the same" ;)

don't they have something better to do ?

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, the federal law you quote says that if you're flying a US flag AND another flag, the US one must be higher.

This Pahrump law says that you can't fly a foreign flag by itself at all. You MUST also have a US flag with it...which of course would have to be higher than the foreign flag.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have never understood the reason for not allowing people to burn the flag...

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

José can you see, by the dawn's early light...

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I have friends in Pahrump. No, they don't. I can totally see some of them wanting to do this, and frankly, I'm kinda surprised it was as close a vote as it was.

I've been to the restaurant in question, and I must say, they do make damn good burritos. :D

22. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I agree with CorvusCamenarum. If you are here in the US, show some respect. Fly the US flag in a place of prominence. In other countries, do as their law allows. Just as you should follow the laws of this country.

23. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Laws have a tendency to come back to bite you, or to be used in ways they were never intended
    2 examples
    1. The UK introduced anti-terror laws which they said would never be used against anyone but terrorists. Who was a the first person to be arrested under the powers? A pensioner who heckled Tony Blair at his party conference!
    2. An anti-abortion group in Ireland sought and got an amendment to the constitution to prohibit abortion in 1983. One hard case and the result of the SUpreme Courts interpretation? Ireland has the most liberal abortion law in the world (i.e. none), if there is a threat to the life of the mother (including the threat of suicide) abortion is permitted up to full term! Admittedly it's not actually performed in Ireland, as we have a tendency to export our "embarrassing" issues like that to the UK, but you get my drift. That was never the intention of the people who put campaigned for the amendment.

Never say a law will only be used in special circumstances. It will be used when you least expect it.

And in Ireland, the seatbelt thing carries penalty points (accumulate too many and you lose your licence) and it is enforced.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A truly pathetic example of national insecurity. Obviously doesn't apply to embassies - but then again, they aren't US territory.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Federal law doesn't provide any penalties for violation of the flag code.

I went to the Baltimore IKEA last weekend and noticed they were violating the Code also, with a Swedish flag flying equal with a US flag.