It's just so creepy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by miloblithe, Mar 24, 2007.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070322/ts_alt_afp/afplifestyleussexchastity_070322082138

The big problem of course is that a purity pledge is meaningless crap:

The creepiness is just an added bonus.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

How long before chastity belts become fashionable again?

3. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

beavis: heh heh
    butthead: heh heh heh. chastity balls.
    beavies: heh heh heh
    butthead: heh heh heh

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Very creepy... how long before dowries make a return? Nothing like being a chattel to keep you in your place.

Where are all the young men making chastity vows? Or have they got a Biblically-ordained opt-out to sow their wild oats?

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Heh. Probably. Man is favourite in the Bible after all.

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

All I see is a group of overly religious fanatic fathers convincing their little girls to go a step further than promising not to do something they have little or no interest in (or knowledge of) at that age anyhow. Possibly so with idea that a few or several years down the road, a sense of guilt will become associated with giving in to such natur- *ahem* excuse me, satanic urges. :rolleyes:

What happened to teaching your children morals and values and allowing them to make their own decisions based on what you've taught them?

Surprisingly, the church saw something wrong with a father and son exchanging vows. :eek: :D ;)

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ew.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Loony over zealous religious types happened!

9. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

A recent "Nightline" had a segment about the Purity Balls and the word creepy does it justice. Breaking the pledges, however, will not have anywhere near the dreadful consequences that ensued which led to many other young women being sent against their will to the Magdalene asylums in Ireland for having had a child out-of-wedlock, and even mildly flirtatious behavior or entertaining the notion of being with a young man.

Two weeks ago I watched an unsettling, but well done movie entitled "The Magdalene Sisters." It is a stunning revelation of what those women were put through as they were under the control of the Catholic church.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/sep2003/madg-s01.shtml

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Creepy and pointless, this is like making 9 year olds promise to never do drugs.

I mean I remember at 8 or 9 buying into the propaganda we were being fed "I'll NEVER do drugs, I promise!" without even understanding the issue. It was just something to say that made the teachers happy to hear.

11. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Creepy is the right word for this. The intention is brainwashing, and the ceremony strikes me as mildly incestuous.

And how does the father "protect his daughter's chastity", anyway? Shotgun??

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

creepy, and in my opinion its pointless and does more harm than good in the long run for most of these people.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Really?

That's what I thought too...

16. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

It's a celebration of the bond between father and daughter, and an expression of faith. I've never heard of actually having a ball, but I know many girls whose fathers gave them rings. Similarly, when Christian boys come of age it's not uncommon to give them a sword as a symbolic gesture.

17. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

What if the daughter decides she doesn't want to marry?

18. bartelby macrumors Core

But that's the point. It's not.

Getting dressed up and shoving a chastity ring on a 9 year old girl's finger has got sod all to do with parental bonding.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, how apt! The sword and the ring! What kind of a sick, mediaeval fantasy land are you living in?

20. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Did you happen to notice the part that said only 1,400 of these balls have occurred nationwide in the past year? The ring will stick around, the ball is just a fad. By the way, the girls I know who have the rings had them given to them around 14 years old.

21. bartelby macrumors Core

It's not the balls, rings or swords:rolleyes:
    It's the whole indoctrination and forcing ideals on to impressionable minds.

Why not teach children to be good and polite and such without involving fantasy stories and threats of eternal punishment. And let them decide what they want their life to include or exclude?

22. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

So you're advocating a no faith until 18 policy? :p

I think you're looking way too much into this. People who grew up in Christian homes become atheists all the time and likewise, people who grew up in atheist homes become Christians all the time. People aren't locked into beliefs. Everything we know and believe is constantly being challenged and it's up to us to process that and shape our world views accordingly.

23. bartelby macrumors Core

So why bother with it at all then?

24. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

25. aquajet macrumors 68020

And the mother-son purity ball? I can't imagine why we don't see any of those...