It's Mac not MAC!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Nermal, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Even Apple can't get it right! From the Apple Store site:

Attached Files:

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i hate it when neewbs ask for help with thee MAC it's Mac god damn it

as for apple, i hang my head in shame

3. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

ack, now that's disturbing. Who ever was in charge of that addition to the website should be fired ;):D

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I never knew MAC addresses could be so interesting.. :rolleyes: ;)

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I noticed Windows users use the letters MAC when they write about Mac. I wonder if they are doing that because they say PC instead of Pc.

M acintosh
    A pple
    C omputer

and

P ersonal
    C omputer

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Seeing Kensington in that screenshot reminds me. Their in-store display at CompUSA uses MAC in some places and Mac in others.

It's really sad to see people who use them every day, who claim to love them, make the mistake when spelling. Of course, they're probably making a lot of other detail errors too. ;)

7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

As we are in a picky mood today - should that be Apple not apple

8. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

It would be more apropriate to say:

A pple
    M acintosh
    C omputer

So AMC or maybe:

A pple
    M acintosh
    P ersonal compter

So that it would be AMP. :) I am going to go play on my AMP now.

9. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Not another one of these MAC vs Mac discussions

What difference does it really make? (don't say "Mac is short for Macintosh and MAC is Media Access Control")

Hell i don't care if people spell my name with all capitals or all lower case -- it doesn't change who i am ... just like whether you write it MAC or Mac or mac or mAc --- it is still the same computer

10. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Exactly, things like this are why "MAC" users are seen as elitists and snobs by the general computing world. Who cares? It is a small detail and a detail that can easily be overlooked.

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ever heard of MACWORLD ?

now nobody would use all caps in the spelling, right??? ;)

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

MAC vs. Mac, I don't really care, come on people...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Sneeper macrumors regular

Sneeper

You have a convenient red arrow showing us the MAC address in the first image, but I can't find the Mac in the second image. could you please draw an arrow for clafirification? Thanks.

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

simma down now .... chances are newbs won't even read this thread ... if you really wanted to get newbs attention you should have put GMAIL or "FREE IPOD REALLY" in the title

15. morkintosh macrumors regular

I agree completely. In fact, a flame war started about this elsewhere eariler this year, let me see ....

ah yes, here it is: [post]710560[/post]

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

sigh --- i vote we wasteland this one since precedence suggests that nothing constructive can come from this "discussion"

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

you know what, I get peeved when people misspell/miscapitalize (wtf?!) my name. I've had it spelled many different ways, most commonly `Jayne Li`. Pfffffff.
    I also get peeved when people misspell/miscapitalize a name like `Mac` or `iPod`. Depends on context (like if youre writing in all caps), but really. What is so difficult about typing/writing it correctly?
    That wouldn't matter as much to me if people used `MAC` or `Mac` consistently and no mention was made about Media Access Control or alternatively Macs in the same document, but when you use it interchangeably, you're just going to confuse everyone. I'm not being elitist, I just don't want to be confused.
    There's a difference between `NeXT` and `Next`, just like there is between `MAC` and `Mac`. Please. Apple is a snob when it comes to precision. So why cant people use it right..

And an example of how using `Mac` and `MAC` can be confused:
    http://oit.washcoll.edu/resource_dir/faqs/newStudentParentFaq.html
    Heh.

18. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Well I don't find that FAQ confusing at all, it explains pretty clearly that a MAC number is a unique ID number given off by a network card when a computer is connected to a network.
    The only possible way I can imagine someone not understanding the difference between the two is if you were to ask "what's your mac?" in which case I would ask you to clarify. Quite simple really, a MAC is not a Mac number unless you state it as a mac number. If someone leaves a post talking about how their new MAC is so awesome and fast and simple to use etc I for one am not going to confuse that with anything to do with friggin networks.

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

yeah but it would be nice if people just capitalized it correctly.
    And that can confuse a lot of people. Possibly.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Actually, it should be "As we are in a picky mood today -- that should be Apple, not apple."

I'm just furthering this thread's trip to Wasteland. :D

Is precision not important? If people were as careful with your money, as they are with words, would you all be so casual about the situation? ;)

21. dsyntax macrumors member

About Newbies: Everyone was a newbie once. Everyone is a newbie right now at something. It isn't easy for someone who knows next to nothing about his or her new mac to post here and risk being made fun of by snobbish jerks here (I know it is a very small percentage of members). Remember, these are teh people we are trying to win away from Windows. Is it really that fun to trash people who don't know better because they were willing to take a chance on Macs and don't know any better how to do something.
    Obviously this is not just about this topic, but I just think that Newbies who ask "stupid" questions or ones that have been asked before deserve to be helped with respect. They usually get it, but sometimes, not so much.

Just remember, its hard to ask for help.

-Doops

22. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

hey, I agree! I think everyone should keep that in mind instead of referring to everything as a "stupid newbie question."

23. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wow, another Mac not MAC thread. You people should complain directly to the person/other people. Of course, since there already is a thread here, here's what I [will] say:

Wildblue
    DirecTV
    about 17 former-PC newbs I killed this month
    ...all misspell Mac.

And now Apple misspells it? Damnit, who's Apple's referral for hiring all these douchebags? :D

24. janey macrumors 603

janey

Just remember, its easy to f*ckinggoogleit. Excuse the language.
    Really. The thing is, I never see the kind of...well...stupidity I see sometimes on these forums elsewhere or on mailing lists, chatrooms, et cetera. Honestly, its like its the first time a lot of people have touched a computer.
    If people had the courtesy and common sense to search forums, search the web, check Apple's support page, ask a friend or even read the users guides and the help pages, we wouldn't be having this problem now eh? If I have a question the first place I'd go for help wouldn't be these forums to say `omfg my computer is boing berzerk help me aghhH!!!!!!!`. It would be google. If everyone who had a question searched first, they wouldnt be chastised or anything! And we wouldnt be having this discussion. Really.
    Go to one of the help subforums on these forums. ie Software Discussion and Help. Now randomly click on 10 of the threads, then use search to see if you can find an older thread(s) that has the same question and/or has a solution for said problem. Odds are many of them have already been asked, and with a 10 second search could have received an answer for.

Windows isnt half bad either, alright? Depends on what you want to do, Macs arent the best.

And yeah I know I'm a n00b at lots of things. But I don't make a fool of myself asking absurd questions before making sure that nobody's asked the question before, especially one that's already been answered.

25. bigsteve3 macrumors member

MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC

oops, my caps lock key was on, silly me...

-S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.