Its March...and tomorrow is Tuesday

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And no one has mentioned that we're going to get new PowerMacs yet? Someone is slacking :D

D

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would say that they're three weeks off before they make the announcements. :D

3. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Here you go: Inside sources deep within Cuperino revealed that Tuesday, March 2 would indeed show bumps to the G5 family. Sources couldn't speculate on the exact CPU ratings, but did say the update would prove "significant."

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Wow.. Mr. Anderson makes a strong move for the cynic of the month title.
    For Powermac release dates, please see this thread.
    :D

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That's why we have moderators, to provide the weekly dose of the "I Can't Wait for the Upgrade this Tuesday" when the rest of the members are too hungover to post about it on Monday.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

This belongs in the Political forum!

...oh, wait... not THAT Tuesday. :p

And your answer is now in the MR headlines. ;)

7. UKMacBod macrumors member

The really sad thing is that every tuesday I make sure that I find time to visit apple.com and macrumors.com at various points during the day -

just hoping...

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Idea for some G5 Specs;

2.0, 2.3, Dual 2.3, or Dual 2.6 PPC 970FX/G5
    512MB PC4000 DDR RAM (Expandable to 8GB)
    150GB or 250GB SATA
    3 or 4 PCI-X Slots
    ATI Radeon 9800 w/ 64MB
    SuperDrive
    Airport Extreme and Bluetooth Optional
    1 Firewire 800
    3 Firewire 400
    3 USB 2.0 Ports

Ships with Mac OS X 10.3.3

TEG

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

This is such bulls***...Steve promised at WWDC 2003 that in a year we would be at 3.0GHz. Not 2.5GHz, not 2.6GHz, not 2.8GHz, but 3.0GHz. Now all of a sudden we're getting reports of 2.6GHz like no one has heard of them before?

Well, tomorrow I have a nice long day anyways......so if I do find out that we got 2.6Ghz, then I'll gladly spend the night typing up my Physics lab excercise w/Ohm's Law.

2.6GHz...??? :rolleyes:

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'm going by what is available now. I think the next bump will be only to 2.6 GHZ, but soon after there will be a 2.8 and 3.0 Available by July.

TEG

11. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Don't get your panties in a bunch!!! Apple has until the end of September to announce a 3 GHz PowerMac G5. Apple has announced an update to a product twice in a year before. They've done this with the PowerBook before a few times. Same with the iMac. Apple said they have some amazing new products being introduced all throughout this year. It all takes time. Apple isn't a DELL and has someone else design their machines and then just slap their own name on them. Patience grasshopper!

12. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

seriously - they will be out as soon as they can. I don't think creating suspense is in Apple's gameplan.

I hope they don't *only* bump the speed. Faster superdrives, hard drives, and video cards would be faboo.

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

sad that you're not the only one.

It was sort of in jest, but like cr2sh said, a bit cynical....

oh well....its just a bit hard to believe that its been since June of 2003 that we've waited for a G5 PM update. The dual 1.8 in November doesn't count, that really wasn't something new.

And as for the end of March - well, that looks about right. Just makes you wonder if we'll end up seeing 3.0 GHz in September, 3 months later than promised by Steve last year.

D

14. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

so it's confirmed? new powermacs are coming out tomorrow? I'll spread the word.

15. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i don't know....
    i have a weird feeling about tomorrow...

reality

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

WWDC 2003 was not in September, if I remember correctly...and I know that Apple has done two products updates for one line of products in a year.

Nevertheless, potentially broken promises by a major company's CEO don't run well with my thin lines of patience.

And it's "honey," not "grasshopper," big shot. :p :p :eek:

17. UKMacBod macrumors member

Well, from what I remember of the WWDC webcast, Steve promised that the G5 would hit 3GHz by next 'summer'. Loosely speaking, that could mean anywhere between late June and early September...

But the point you make about their not being any 'real' PMG5 upgrade since its inception is certainly a valid one!

18. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

We will see. Only 2 hours to go. If latest rumors are true - nothing new today. And that even so many products are due for an update.
    iMac
    eMac
    Powerbook
    PowerMac
    Displays!

P.S. What happend to your Tar ?

:(

19. cubist macrumors 68020

I think he said "this time next year we expect to be at 3GHz". When he said "we" he means that somewhere within Apple a machine would be running at that speed. This does NOT mean that on Sept. 1, 2004 you can buy a 3GHz machine at your Apple Store. Also, I don't think that sentence should be interpreted as a promise.

Mr. Andy, what is that avatar? A solarized dandelion?

And Hemingray, it's that kind of Cold War nostalgia that made me think that the Nuclear Holocaust Cafe could be a success. Check out Fallout Shelter signs on eBay - they're going for big bucks!

20. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

for the record, not Andy ;) The avatar is some 3D graphic I found online that I'm using till I make a new one myself.

I never expected anything to come out today, the whole idea of the thread was more in jest.

The special they have on memory until March 27th is a much better indicator that things will happen after that. So maybe the 30th?

Which sucks, btw, but we have no choice in the matter.

D

21. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Like someone else said, Steve announced that Apple and IBM "expect" to be at 3 GHz by this time next year. That doesn't necessarily mean that during the WWDC in June they will announce 3 GHz PowerMac G5's. IF they are adding other features like a faster FSB, dual SuperDrives, and support for for Hard Drives then they will have to do a little redesigning of the logicboard to support all of those features.

What are you going to do if they don't announce 3 GHz PowerMacs but a Dell?

22. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

23. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Wow, I must have missed something. :confused:
    Dual Superdrives? For what? How about just a faster superdrive?
    Support for four harddrives? I guess 500gb internal plus firewire 800 doesn't offer enough alternatives...

You want 4 harddrives and dual superdrives....? :eek:

And what does the Dell comment mean? I'm always amazed.. Steve isn't going to just say something like that unless he was very sure it was going to happen. As guarded as he is about everything Apple does.. do you think he would just drop this bit of pure speculation during a Keynote? why would he do that? to build false hopes? To dissapoint his consumers? To criple the sales between now and then, only to dissapoint? That makes no sense at all, given the Steve we know.
    We will get 3GHz Powermacs by the end of summer. :)

24. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I didn't say they were going to put support for dual superdrives, or 4 hard drive bays, but they are rumored to with the 3 GHz update. I also think Apple will announce a 3 GHz PowerMac by the end of September.

As far as the Dell comment goes, I was just picking on the person I quoted becuase he got a little touchy. No hurt feelings were meant by the comment.

25. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

just remember that steve doesn't have a time machine, and i'm pretty sure nostradamus didn't make any mac predictions, so steve is just relying on information given to him and hoping that it is achievable.........

last year was the year of the laptop, remember
    how was last year the year of the laptop?
    it was really the year of the G5

we'll prob get a small bump soon, then have a 3 ghz annoucement by WWDC