iTS Movies for UK?!? When!?!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by netdog, Feb 12, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    This doesn't seem like something that they should be keeping secret. When the heck do we get movies and television programs? Not much interested in :apple:TV until this service becomes available.
  2. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Jun 1, 2006
    I can't really see this happening at all. Maybe I'm just overly pessimistic but what with the all the terrestial channels looking at launching their own download services (or already have done) just where will Apple get their UK TV content from?

I think if Apple are serious about the :apple: TV then maybe a few revisions from now we'll be able to use just about any file format and put our own content on it that we've "acquired" from other sources. But I'm not hopeful for that either!
  3. hexoffender macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    Probably shortly after Canada -- i.e. never....
  4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    I am sure that Apple would be happy to take your money except that someone else already owns the UK rights. It took a long time to get iTS outside of the US because negotiating music rights had to be done separately for each country. Since the market for movies and TV is smaller it may not be worth the trouble (or maybe it is still going on).
  5. bbergie macrumors regular

Jul 3, 2006
    I can't for the life of me figure out why the online Apple Canada store is even bothering promoting Apple TV in the absence of Apple selling movies and TV programs on the Apple Canada iTunes Music Store. Baffling. I haven't heard a peep about such programming coming to the iTMS, and that doesn't bode well for those of us who are holding out any hope that TV and movie content, which would validate the puchase of Apple TV, will be available from Apple anytime soon.
  6. Meatball macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2006
    Hopefully not until the Movies are DVD or HD quality, so never :rolleyes:
  7. PreacherKane macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2006
    London, England
    It does seem odd that Apple are promoting a product that has no use, for a large portion of their clients. I thought once they started shipping, they would have content on iTS Uk. :confused:
    I know that you can stream other content but the whole point of AppleTV is streaming movies from your mac to your TV via :apple: TV. If there are no films on iTS, then its just a nice white box in your front room.:eek:

Support Your Local Musician on :D
  8. hexoffender macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    Call me a troll -- but I think Apple wasn't thinking terribly hard when they decided to release :apple:TV. It would seem that they just thought, hey, we need some device to stream content off the iMac to the TV. The problem I see with the device is that:

a) Apple hasn't any content for the device in at least 50% of their market (this is a rather small number that probably over exaggerates the American marketplace)
    b) They still haven't moved the quality to a high enough level to justify iTMS > DVD
    c)If I have an iPod and I want to watch content I have on the device, on my TV, I can do it for substantially cheaper than the $300 USD white box.
  9. PreacherKane macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2006
    London, England
    TV shows such as The Sopranos and Curb Your Enthusiasm are to be offered to UK viewers on demand in a deal between US network HBO and three broadband firms.
    The subscription service will be seen on BT Vision, Tiscali TV and Virgin Media, with 50 hours of programming available initially and updated weekly.

HBO is also known for dramas Six Feet Under and Band of Brothers, both of which will be part of the package.

The channel said it would be up to the distributors to set launch dates.

HBO's programmes - seen on British networks such as Channel 4, E4 and Sky One - had "always done very well in the UK", said Simon Sutton, one of HBO's senior directors.

And he described the arrival of the on-demand service as being "long desired and anticipated" by viewers.

Apple TV is looking less and less like a good idea. At least in the UK.;)

Support Your Local Musician on :confused: