Its nearly Selection Sunday, whos your team for March Madness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kwyjibo, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Alright, for all us college basketball fan whos your team for the upcoming playoffs ....

First of, i'm kind of dissapointed in Duke, I mean the victory over UNC was good but they really didn't play their best in those three ACC losses. They are down to 5 in the AP rankings and I suppose they deserve it but I really love their basketball style.

St. Joes- I wish these guys the best of luck, I think tougher competition will catch up with them. Same to standford really, they haven't seen enough tough games this season for me to have a defintive opinion.

and finally my favorite for several reasons.... my school's team the Fighting Illini. They got ranked 12 in the most recent AP poll and they are looking really good. Unbeaten in February and first big ten title alone since 1952. If they perform well in the Big Ten tourney they only stand to gain a higher seed. I see them making the elite 8 if they can keep up the level of playing i've seen over the past few games.

I'd like to see Louisville perform well but they really need a confidence boost before they get to playoffs ...

these are my thoughts what are you guys thinking ...

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

For those who are interested, I've created a "macrumors" group on the ESPN Tournament Challenge. Just go here and search for the "macrumors" group to join. Then pick your teams when the pairings are announced next week! See you there!

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Kentucky! Defense wins games and no one in the country plays better defense than Tubby Smith's teams. Plus they are a senior and junior dominated/experienced team.

But....
    if Louisville, Connecticut, Duke, or Kansas get hot.....they have a great chance too.

Wordmunger:
    Thanks for the info on the ESPN Tournament Group!.....I'll join in on that one.

4. phonemonkey macrumors regular

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! GO TERPS!!

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

whenever this craziness comes around, i like to root for whoever is closest to me...fresno state, cal, ucla, usc, stanford, etc

sometimes i will root for someone far away like syracuse and it was cool the year they went all the way...it's been a long time for them and it was a great momentous win

stanford won it all in '42 and cal in '59 so it's been two or three generations for either team...one would think with rival ucla doing so well through the years, stanford and cal up here in northern california would do something great, but they usually come up short in basketball

EDIT: i just found out my college, cal poly san luis obispo, is now a division I team, but at 11-17, they are not exactly a threat to anyone...it's a realtively small school, so i will be happy if they can ever go through a division 1 season and lose half a dozen games in a season

7. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

MD (as you can tell from location :))

GO Terps!!!

[​IMG]

Truth About Duke
    The truth sets you free.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

YOU CAN'T STOP US!

YOU CAN'T STOP US!

Attached Files:

9. sinbushar macrumors regular

CU

look out for the CU Buffs for a come behind domination of the tourney...

10. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

BOW DOWN

TO WASHINGTON! That's right, the Huskies are on FIRE. These guys have gone from an 0-5 start to winning 13 of their last 14 including a final dominating game against then undefeated Stanford. Not to mention that these guys got HEART. They could have thrown in the towel but they didn't, and they are gonna go all the way. Take THAT East Coast Bias

11. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

Pittsburgh

if julius page remembers how to score sometime over the next two weeks, they will make it to the final four. even if he doesn't, they've got a chance. i just hope they're not the #2 in the duke bracket.

their defense is too tough.

12. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Why do i keep hearing this ignorant b.s. about East Coast bias? It's North Carolina bias! And last time I checked, Gtech, FSU and Maryland aren't in North Carolina.

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm originally from Seattle and still a Washington fan, but East Coast bias or not, the Pac-10 is very weak this year. Washington is in second place with only a 17-10 record. In the SEC or ACC, or even Conference USA, this would be seventh place. The Pac-10 will probably get 3 bids to the tournament, and it will probably be one too many.

That said, GO HUSKIES! I hope they go all the way!

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

he he..lmao

what??

last time i checked, north carolina is on the east coast ;)

15. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Jeff - I'm just trying to be more specific. West coast usual stereotypes that all the East coast gets the bias (in rankings for example)--which is a horrible blanket statement. When in actuality, UNC and Duke are getting the bias. Maryland never got ANY recognition until they won in 2002. Nothing.

Example:
    People all expected Stanford to win in 2001. Hell, I remember talking to people during college visits and this was brought up. Many Cali guys HATED Maryland (and especially Juan) just b/c they beat "favored" Stanford. I just laugh b/c they thought that Stanford "deserved" to beat MD. Too bad. They lost their pool money.

Ask around about who gets the calls. Ask where the ACC tournament is played. 43 out of 51 times, it's been in NORTH CAROLINA!

16. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

This is also why the ACC looks to be more fair next season, with VTech and Miami coming in. No more Carolina bias in the ACC tournament :)

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think the old "east coast bias" argument is really just a "dominant programs bias." The established schools get all the press. But I also see this trend dying as "upstart" programs like Gonzaga and Southern Illinois continue to play well year after year. Those schools, plus St. Joe's this year, now get plenty of press.

Regarding the location of the ACC tournament, I think it has more to do with the central location of NC and the availability of good stadiums, not only in college towns, but non-college towns like Charlotte and Greensboro. Also, if Maryland wants to leave the ACC, I think there are plenty of schools itching to take their spot.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Watch out for UConn if Okafor is healthy. His back is giving him problems and he may not be in the Big East Tournament. They may go far I actually think they could be NCAA champions if all goes well. Watch out for Syracuse as a sleeper as they are the champs still and they have a chance to upset some teams if they get on a roll. Gonzaga has become a threat in recent years and look for them to go far in the Tournament. Id say Kentucky Gonzaga Uconn and Duke in the Final Four could be possible.

19. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

7 other schools NOT in carolina (7/12)

wordmunger: It's not about MD leaving the ACC, its having a fairer, unbiased tournament location. I don't care that 4 schools (Duke, UNC, Wake, NC State) are in North Carolina--that is not a valid excuse for having it in their state 84% of the time!

I see your location is from North Carolina, so i won't try to convince you otherwise, but that is my belief and of many others that are of non-Carolina schools (VA, Georgia Tech, FSU and now Miami and Vtech). With 6 other schools NOT in Carolina (7 with introduction of BC in 2005-2006), surely they will finally start to consider an alternative location?

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Watch out for the Big East next year to become a basketball powerhouse will Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette, South Florida.

21. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I agree, it's a problem. My point was that it's not like it's always in Cameron stadium--cities in Carolina have built stadiums specifically to attract the ACC tournament. Are there equivalent facilities in Maryland that can seat 23,000-plus for the tournament? I don't think Carolina teams get any special preference in ticket alotments, either. I do think things will get better as the conference gets more spread out, though.

22. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Cameron/Dean Dome...its all the same.

I understand its not played there, but its just that much easier for even casual fans to attend the ACC tournament, but specifically Duke/UNC/Wake/NC State vs. the others if 5/9 aren't even in North Carolina.

To put you in the same shoes, how if it was held at MCI Center 90% of the time? How would you like that? Instead of only travelling maybe an hour to the ACC tourney, it would become 4-6 hours instead.

Obviously what i said was all in good thinking. Tobacco Road/NC bias will remain until something is done, but alas, it may not happen for quite a while.

23. womencantsail macrumors member

My Favorite Pic from that site. Actually, its the caption really makes it.

My picks to possibly win the tourney: Stanford, Gonzaga, Miss. State

Teams that could do some real damage: Air Force, Utah State, NC State, Providence, Arizona, Washington

24. phonemonkey macrumors regular

Besides attendance, travel times, Maryland's facilities are positively the craziest, most intense atmosphere there is which is good for acc tourney. As for the attendance issues that were brought up I remember in high school we used to go to games (back when UM was on probation) and I cannot remember many games which were not sold out. It would not hurt to let other states host the tournament once in a while.

25. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

The problem is, unlike most other conferences there is too much parity in the conference (football and basketball) for a team to go all the way most times. Stanford almost made it and thats an accomplishment, but too often we beat each other up, where as other conferences may have one or two stand outs and not much else.