It's not fair! qt6

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by modyouup, May 30, 2002.

1. modyouup macrumors member

It's not fair! Quicktime 6 supposedly plays mpeg-4 movies which you would think would include divx. I tried playing my divx movies on a developer's QT6 I got off of Hotline and it didn't work! I can't see why the released version will work any differently. This sucks!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

hello? mpeg-4 != divx

They're 2 different codecs. Download the divx codec from apple, but it might not work with qt6

3. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

Dude I'm well aware on the codec, but isn't qt6 supposed to work without the codec? That's the point I was trying to make.

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Does any player work without the divx codec?

Anyway, if you can go to the trouble of downloading illegal media off of hotline, i'm sure that downloading a few codecs is a simple enough task. Remember though, that version of qt6 you've got isn't the same as the final release. Do you think developers need divx? Why then should apple include it at this stage?

5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

divx is not super legit....i think they got sued or something even (not sure on that one). its a great codec but if apple supported it i think theyd be frowned on

6. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

I don't use that codec I use the 3ivx codec with DivX Doctor II but you have to go to the trouble of doctoring the movies every time. QT6 final better work with divx's (and it better have WMA audio support also cause that's integrated into a lot of movies).

Of course QT6 will never come out so why even think about it.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

DivX is avi +mp3. It's a file format kludged together to make high-quality video possible on the internet. It is not standard based, and as such, should not be expected to play natively in ANY media player without extra codecs.

Windows Media Player doesn't play divx without the divx codec.

Quityerbitchin!

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Man, I wish everyone would quit blaming Apple for 3rd party devloper crap. I have said this in another thread and I will say it here. MPEG4 is not divx. It is, what Apple is trying to make the standard for video. Now, I agree with the earlier poster, if you can take the time to download illegal copies of divx movies off of the net, then you can take the time to make it work on your computer.

9. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

So now i'm just 'the earlier poster'? ;) :p

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Sorry Britboy. My wife went to Louisiana and left me here with kid. The baby was pulling on me at that time, and I could not scroll bad to see :p

In the future I will refer to you as the Great BritBoy!!!

11. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

That has a nice kind of ring to it, thanks :D I was only kidding btw...

12. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hey

Well done on the 1000 B2TM! I wonder how long is will take mrsb2tm to get there :)

Ensign

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We might have scared her off, I think. She hasn't posted since she first signed up (I think), hopefully b2tm will get her back on.

14. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I'll gladly second that. If she's anything like b2tm (possible, considering they're married...:rolleyes: ) then she'd be great for debates and lively arguments :)