It's official: Iraq is a quagmire

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, all right, it's not official official. The White House didn't say Iraq is a quagmire...but Newsweek sure did.

"This is the week Iraq spun out of control." I have to admit having the same thought as I watched the news this past week or so. It's getting worse instead of better.

I wish I could be more optimistic, but the Vietnam parallel is starting to look pretty apt, and I don't think Bush has a clue what to do next.

2. toontra macrumors 6502

He sure doesn't. The problem is he believed the crap that was fed him by Chalabi about the post-war scenario, with the US being hailed as heros by the liberated masses, as well as the active WMD programs and stockpiles. The latter has proved to be a pack of lies, and the former is looking equally improbable every day.

The one to have benefited from this? - the convicted fraudster Chalabi, having been bankrolled by the US for years, now in the governing council and possibly headed for becoming Iraq's first leader (with further back-room help from the US of course)!

In the recent BBC Hardtalk interview he blamed the US for believing everything he told them without checking - how true!!

3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about? Everything is fine. All is well. Never fear. Etc. Etc.

Attached Files:

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This has definitely been a terrible week--month really--of rising violence and opposition to the US occupation. The problem is, we can't just retreat and pull out. To make the Vietnam comparison, there is no state to fill the void if we leave right now, no North Iraq with the power to take over. We're stuck with the obligation to make Iraq a better place than when we invaded it, and faced with, shall we say extreme difficulty in carrying out that mission. What to do?