Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
After some people posted pictures of a disassembeled Macbook with too much thermal paste, here's a link to pictures from the official Apple service manual, STILL WITH TOO MUCH THERMAL PASTE APPLIED:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=295925

And now for the fun part: Check out the review below. The reviewer tried to heat things up on his macbook to check tempartures. THE COMPUTER FROZE WITH KERNEL PANIC. He could not reboot the computer UNTIL HE PLACED THE MACBOOK FOR 5 MINUTES ABOVE AN AIR CONDITIONER!

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2946&review=Apple+MacBook

I just can't believe this. Apple are unbelivable. Are they really that dumb? There's no other way to say it, their engineers are pretty much a bunch of idiots. Don't give me that "It's all made in China" part, the Macbook is made by Asustek in Korea, and Asustek make PERFECT LAPTOPS, I know this first hand! But when Apple demands that their laptops will contain that much thermal paste, the supplier has no choice but to do as he's told. And the most annoying part is that Apple is NOT LISTENING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. JUST HAVE A LOOK AT YOUR OFFICIAL FORUMS AND SEE FOR YOURSELFS HOW ANGRY 85% OF YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE!

Arrrgghhh. Really needed to blow of all this steam.

BTW, on a different note, the Macbook is faster than the Macbook Pro, even in some graphics intensive tasks. My guess, this is because they are FREAKING UNDERCLOCKING THEIR ATI X1600 GPU BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THAT THE COMPUTER IS SO HOT BECAUSE OF THE STUPID THERMAL PASTE!!! Benchmarking proof:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars/5

Oded S.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
you know, rants like this don't bother me too much.

as long as the person making the rant actually has the computer.

well, I'll get flamed for saying that, but that's my take on it. There are people who go digging around the web to find problems with other people's computers, and then complain about it.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
mkaake said:
you know, rants like this don't bother me too much.

as long as the person making the rant actually has the computer.

well, I'll get flamed for saying that, but that's my take on it. There are people who go digging around the web to find problems with other people's computers, and then complain about it.

Well, after taking the heat with the macbook pro i'm never ever gonna by an apple computer before researching on the web. Their new computers are not good, period. I am sorry you feel that way but there's a limit to how much i am willing to go just because I like a company. They should address the problems. Instead, they completly ignore it!

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
odedia said:
Well, after taking the heat with the macbook pro i'm never ever gonna by an apple computer before researching on the web. Their new computers are not good, period. I am sorry you feel that way but there's a limit to how much i am willing to go just because I like a company. They should address the problems. Instead, they completly ignore it!

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. I've got a friend who's got a 1.83 macbook pro, which got so hot the aluminum covering the battery peeled off. I've ripped on apple for that many a time. They are not perfect, they ship flaws, and they've got some qc issues they need to resolve.

My point was about ranting online about a machine you don't own. *shrugs shoulders*

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
odedia said:
BTW, on a different note, the Macbook is faster than the Macbook Pro, even in some graphics intensive tasks. My guess, this is because they are FREAKING UNDERCLOCKING THEIR ATI X1600 GPU BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THAT THE COMPUTER IS SO HOT BECAUSE OF THE STUPID THERMAL PASTE!!! Benchmarking proof:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars/5

The reason the MacBook is faster in some tests there is because it's 2GHz, and the MacBook Pro they tested is the 1.83GHz model.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
This is the sort of thing I didn't want to hear about before buying my new MacBook... *sigh* at least I know about it now...

x86isslow said:
When the G5 Powerbooks get here.
Anyone have an old PPC notebook they want to opperate on and see how much thermal grease is used on those?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Apart from replacing it yourself, has anyone heard if Apple are taking these back under Applecare and sorting it out?

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I'd be willing to bet the PowerBook G4 has crap thermal paste application too!

Mine is perfect, not a glitch since day one, but it's bloody hot.

I know aluminium dissipates heat well, but wow.

Rich.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Wonder if the MacBook Service Manual (above) isn't in sync with what's coming off the production line?

The amount of goo on the MacBook below (left) looks quite a bit less (although not perfect) than the amount of goo on the Mac Book Pro below (right), and nothing like you'd expect it to look after seeing the Service Manual picture above.

Meaning maybe Apple made last minute changes to the MacBook production line and hasn't updated the service manual yet.

Attachments

• MacBook%20-%2038_jpg.jpg
    MacBook%20-%2038_jpg.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 2,192
  • rowofshame2ul.jpg
    rowofshame2ul.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 3,243

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
odedia said:
Well, after taking the heat with the macbook pro i'm never ever gonna by an apple computer before researching on the web.
That's wise advice for any new device that costs over $20, no? Research first, buy later. :eek:

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
aristobrat said:
Wonder if the MacBook Service Manual (above) isn't in sync with what's coming off the production line?

The amount of goo on the MacBook below (left) looks quite a bit less (although not perfect) than the amount of goo on the Mac Book Pro below (right).

That's actually a very good point. The manual was probably finished before Apple were flamed for the incorrect application, so they stepped up and ignored the manual.

Any more photos of the MacBooks' guts?

Rich.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Is it the MacBooks or MacBook Pros, or both?

Wouldn't replacing it yourself void the warranty? :(

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
kainjow said:
Is it the MacBooks or MacBook Pros, or both?

Wouldn't replacing it yourself void the warranty? :(

Both apparently.

But it seems like the MacBooks may have been applied a lot more sparingly than the Pros.

I would not bother doing it yourself.

Just get on the blower to Apple.

Rich.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I was watching a DVD the other night on my MB and it was insanely hot. I put it on my lap and took it off right away because of the heat.

No children for me in the future ;) :p

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
fatsoforgotso said:
Apart from replacing it yourself, has anyone heard if Apple are taking these back under Applecare and sorting it out?

Rich.

I would like to know this too.
Since the firmware update its been cooler, but that firmware update sure didn't go inside and remove excess paste...

I would like to have an ice cold MBP please. We still calling on the 20th?

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
aristobrat said:

The amount of goo on the MacBook below (left) looks quite a bit less (although not perfect) than the amount of goo on the Mac Book Pro below (right), and nothing like you'd expect it to look after seeing the Service Manual picture above.

Meaning maybe Apple made last minute changes to the MacBook production line and hasn't updated the service manual yet.

The manuals ARE in sync. Here's a photo a user on these forums took:

trurl_pagecontent.jpg

It's from this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/201987/

So yes, that's exactly how they put the thermal paste and that's exactly why the computers are so amazingly hot.

By the way, I recommemnd taking the service manual's pictures off this forum. The reason I only linked to a different website in the first place is because Apple are sending lawsuit threats to every website which is hosting the "properitory" material. What this actually means is that they don't want you to know how much they messed up.

Oded S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.