It's OVER.

Discussion in 'Games' started by thatwendigo, Nov 18, 2004.

1. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

World of Warcraft Central servers are shut down, after a massive invasion of Infernals and Dreadlords. I should have screenshots of the battle outside the gates of Stormwind in a little bit.

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

oooooo I can't wait for this!!@!!

:D

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

What does that mean exactly? I haven't played the game yet, so do you mean the Blizzard servers got overloaded, or that's a bug/balance flaw in the game that they need to correct, or what?

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

The WoW Open Beta went offline today as the game is due in stores on the 23rd.

5. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

the massive invasion is how they ended the beta. I missed it though :(

6. kilpajr macrumors regular

I have been busy with projects and homework lately and haven't been able to play much. I was impressed when I started playing but I have to say my experience at the end SUCKED. I was a level 10 NE druid and I found the bear spirit. I wanted to get back to dolanaar to get the bear form to see what it was like but the hearthstone had 30 more minutes to cooldown. There was nothing in Moonglade! No bad guys, no other players, nothing!

Also, this is the first MMORPG I have played (besides maybe 30 minutes of EQMac which I couldn't figure out and deleted within a couple days). I thought people would be a lot more helpful but many people won't even respond when you ask them a question (using /tell). I think this is just rude. I am seriously considering buying the Collector's Edition but if people are going to be too busy to help out someone who is trying to get help, I am not going to enjoy it.

Let me ask you fellow Mac users (which I have found to be very willing to help others), would someone who is fairly experienced be willing to group with me when the game officially starts? If I have that to look forward to, I will definitely buy this game.

7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I have the same questions. And everquest sucked for me too. Nobody talked to me either. I put about 5 hours into the game. Became a level 3, but no interaction w/others or cool experiences.

8. kilpajr macrumors regular

I spent more time than that (maybe 10 - 15 hours) and had two people ask to group with me. I accepted the second offer and enjoyed it. They showed me a couple of things and we completed a quest that I at first didn't think I had. It is really fun participating in a group. In my opinion, the game is not worth playing if you aren't going to be in a group.

So, Converted2Truth, are you going to purchase the game, and if so, do you want to be in a group? :)

9. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

yeah.. those doom guards and infernals were something.. squished us in orgrimmar and crossroads like bugs.. lol. I heard, though, that a group of alliance actually brought down an infernal.. was anyone there? :D

10. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I guess my post in the WoW experiences thread could have just as well been posted here, so here is a link to my closing thoughts on the WoW open beta.

11. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

Sure thing! i went through the same ordeal, but I was lucky enough to find a couple of players to group with. I'm so mad Beta is over. Why isn't Tuesday here??? :cool:

Maybe we can start a Guild, but one thing will be what race is it going to be use. We can have the MacRumors Guild. I'd like playing in PvP servers, that way we can raid towns. heheheh :D

What do you guys think?

12. thatwendigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

The invasion was an attack by ridiculously high-level creeps like Infernals, Dreadlords, Doomguards, and others that nobody had any business fighting. I'm not sure what happened on the Horde side of things, but every Alliance capitol city - Darnassus. Ironforge, and Stormwind were the ones I personally witnesses - had an assault ongoing. In some places, all it did was kill the guards of the city, like Darnassus. In Stormwind, we fought back.

Here are shots of my level eight Warlock, Hezekiah, in and around the streets and gate at the front of the city.

A Dreadlord charges:
    [​IMG]

The defenders begin to gather at the gates:
    [​IMG]

Repelling the invaders, fighting in desperation:
    [​IMG]

Bodies begin to mount as the invasion takes its toll:
    [​IMG]

The final wave comes, in the form of four or five Massive Infernals:
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry for the tearing near the top, but the OS X screencap had a hard time keeping up with all the motion, I think)

An ignoble death for one who dabbled with demons:
    [​IMG]

And, because someone asked... The DEAD INFERNAL!
    [​IMG]

13. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

that's awesome! Glad to see they can be beaten. I was in orgrimmar when they showed up.. blocking the main entrance into and out of orgrimmar. A bunch of us tried to fight back, but they were just too strong. I managed to get out by using my hearthstone. I ended up at Crossroads where it was clear at the time. A group of Alliance had managed to raid a town east of Crossroads so we went to help out. When we got back to Crossroads, bodies were everywhere. We charged the doom guards that were patrolling the middle and all of us (30+) were slaughtered.

14. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

WOW.

Those pictures are awesome. Thanks wendigo. I can't wait for this....... :)

15. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

I wonder if another allience would've been possible. See all races unite just so they wouldn't close the Beta.

16. armandocerna macrumors regular

Can you only experience these kinds of things on a pvp server?

17. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Have no fear there are some nice people out there. I got to level 30 (Night Elf warrior) and would help lots of noobs. In fact I took it upon myself to sponsor about 3 of them with money and items. My personal modo is "Any time" so if you do get the game feel free to IM with any questions.

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

19. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I am trying as hard as i can to justify the cost. I would find it fully justifiable if i knew i'd have cool people to play with. So i'll give it a try if you will.

20. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

haha, in orgrimmar we were getting pounded. The front gates were guarded by 2 massive infernals, 2 dreadlords, and 2 felguards! It was crazy because they kept running up onto the sky tower and killing anyone who tried to run! We tried to fight but we were just overwhelmed.

21. JasonL macrumors regular

OMG! :eek: Thanks for posting the screenshots. I thought they were so exciting that I had to show them to my wife...she was somewhat less than excited than me, though. :confused:

22. kilpajr macrumors regular

OK, let's go for it. Unfortunately, with the semester coming to an end, I have a lot of projects and studying to do so I'm not sure how much time I will be able to spend playing. However, after the semester is over in mid-December, I will have much more time to play.

So, I guess I'll be buying WoW on Tuesday. Who else wants to be part of our group? Which side/race/class should we be (and why)?

23. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

I won't mind. Check the thread WoW Guild . We are trying to form one. Although a group will be better. Since a others are being part of another guild and the difference in time zone. Let us know what server you are going to be on, time zone and game type.

24. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

What'd ya know... that's when my semester gets to an end as well! BTW, let me know what race and stuff i should be...

25. kilpajr macrumors regular

I am getting excited about WoW again. I was really pumped when the Beta came out but because of my solo experiences, especially towards the end of the Beta, I started to feel disappointed. Now that I have found other mac users who are also looking for a group, I am looking forward to playing again.

I enjoyed playing the Night Elf Druid, but from what I have read here and at other sources, they seem to be weaker than other race/class combinations. So, I am going to do some more research into what race/class I am going to choose. I want to play the most fun race/class, not necessarily the strongest. What do y'all suggest?